1D Mk1: is it really worth £458?

Isn't the 40D weather sealed too, plus the 1D has only 4MP (I believe) to the 40D's 10MP.

4mp on a bigger sensor though, and I don't think the 40d is weather proofed, and most of the lenses (L aside) you buy for it will not be.

£458 is worth it to someone who has a use for it and the money for it.

There's some would argue the 1D produces a nicer image with 4MP than the MkII does with 8. Personally I'd have a Mk1 rather than a 40D anytime.

Totally worth it I'd say. They're regularly advertised by second hand dealers at the £600 mark.

The 40D isn't sealed, just around the card and battery door. On the 1D the buttons are all properly gasketed. They'll handle something like 7 inches of rain per hour when paired with a sealed lens. Not to mention dust is kept out much better.

I had a 40D and 1D AF is better, especially for moving things.

The quality of the images is also pretty special, it uses a CCD sensor with very little internal filtering and as a result is incredibly sharp. It may be old and only 4mp, but the 1D will always be a bit special imo :)

Paul

There's some would argue the 1D produces a nicer image with 4MP than the MkII does with 8. Personally I'd have a Mk1 rather than a 40D anytime.

I totally agree with that statement (I do miss my 1D)
Spot on, sharp & crisp images & lightning fast autofocus.
It didn't half take a battering too when I was using it for event photography & worked perfectly every time.

I thought you had the MkII Mike?

I thought you had the MkII Mike?

Nope, just the MkI - I toyed with the idea of the MKII for a long while but I had the 1D for sport & fast stuff & the 5D for everything else (all now replaced by wonderful Darkside equipment :p :LOL:)

Is it really worth that much?

It was a few years ago now that I got mine & I paid £500 for it (& would again if I was still using Canon stuff) the differences between the Canon Pro bodies & the prosumer ones were very very obvious imho.

I did have a really good 1D interpolation plugin though that allowed massive images to be made from 1D files.

I did have a really good 1D interpolation plugin though that allowed massive images to be made from 1D files.

Was it alien skin blow up by any chance, I have this and it seems to work a treat.

Was it alien skin blow up by any chance, I have this and it seems to work a treat.

Nope, I'd have to check through my plugins to find out exactly which one it was :thinking: I have heard nothing but good reports about the Alien skin blowup plugin though & did consider buying it for a time - I may have to look into it again as I'm doing a lot more cropping work recently (y)

I have two 1d mk 1’s I paid about £700 about 2 years ago - I "down graded" from an 8Mp 20d to a "just" 4mp 1d - best thing I ever did, the cameras create images that are way above the quality what you would think they could create. These cameras are really tough, waterproof and very fast, but are also poor in low light (bad noise starting at anything over 400iso), eat batteries, and are unforgiving of poor framing (you need to fill the frame to get the best out if the camera) Is the camera worth £458? - With what is bundled with the camera that you have listed I would say yes (I think that is a fair price) the key question is "is it worth this much to you?" I would say if you shoot daylight sport or news then yes; if you want a general all round camera then no.

Back