1D mkIII - infamous issues

Edit My Images
No
So I recenlty aquired a 1D mkIII at a very good price, it's mint condition and apparently spent most of its recent life in a safe as a backup camera.

The SN is 527468 so within the range of affected cameras with the AF issue I believe.

I tried calling Canon to get info on if it had any fixes, didn't have much luck, got passed around a bit and someone vaguely told me they believed it hadn't been back to Canon. Is there any way I can check 100% it's history?

I heard about 'blue dots' in the battery compartment, but mine doesn't have these.

I went out with some dogs at the weekend, very fast moving and in AF servo it seemed to do an ok job at keeping track of them, I did adjust the AF settings a bit too, and will need more time to learn these more advanced AF settings - however I still didn't get that high a % of good shots to bad shots.

Is there anyway I can check the AF on my camera?

Could a 3rd party check if the fixes have been done? If they haven't is it a new AF system, or a tweak/parts?

I acquired a 1Dlll last year and wasn't sure if the "fixed" had be carried. I contacted Lehmann's, they emailed me a mailing address and then returned the camera in about 5 days. Couldn't fault their service.

http://www.hlehmann.co.uk/

Ian

Have Lehmann got there act together recently?
I used them a couple of times 3-4 years ago and vowed never again!

Have Lehmann got there act together recently?
I used them a couple of times 3-4 years ago and vowed never again!

I used them a couple of times last year and didn't have a problem with them. The worked they carried out was great and had a quick turn-around.

Neil has a point. Presumably the previous owner was unable to give you any information. Some may not be aware of recalls if their units were working fine. Daugirdas is right. If having tested your new bay, you're still unsure about it, send or take it to Canon Elstree if you are not far from them. If the work has not been done on it before then it will be rectified FOC.

Thereafter, have fun with your 1D3. It's a great camera.

Just about to get one from MPB, bit worried about it but assured all mods have been done.

Looking forward to testing it.

what was the actual symtems of the fault.Have heard of the fix but what was the f ault.

what was the actual symtems of the fault.Have heard of the fix but what was the f ault.

Fill your boots on this. It is the initial and most comprehensive assessment of the performance of the 1D MKIII from pre-production through to the last updates were made both in hardware and firmware.

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=7-8740-9068

I had two of them, both required fixes, both went in twice (once for each fix) and had the latest firmware whenever released. I also had all of my lenses calibrated to the bodies at Elstree.

Note to the OP - make sure you have the latest firmware - if it goes back to Elstree then they will almost certainly do this for you.

Neither of them ever focussed predictably or consistently and eventually in December 2008, with no concrete fix in the pipeline and no new 1D body likely to be made available I switched lock stock and barrel to Nikon D3 bodies and Nikkor glass (and FWIW 3 years on am still delighted with that choice).

The worst symptom for me was that it would jump out of focus (from single shot / single focus) and you'd get nothing in the frame in focus at all. It wasn't even front or back focussing - just a mushy mess. The very late models were supposed to have been *really* fixed - but almost every single one of my circle of peers dumped theirs between November 2008 and June 2009 and switched to Nikon and those that didn't quickly moved to the 1D MKIV on release. Only one swore by his, and didn't have an issue with them - selling them only when he retired in early 2011.

It is absolutely worth running a good check on both static and moving subjects and looking at them at 100% in Lightroom or PS.

Take pictures. If mostly in focus, you're fine.

Yes I'd agree with Tobers.

However if you do want 'peace of mind' phone Canon, get an RMA number (returns material authorisation) and sent it to them. Make sure ask them to give you the shutter count as well.

You could also send in a lens for calibration with the body if you want. You'd have to pay for that though, unless the lens is in warranty.

What it will be covered for free by Canon still, surely it's out of warranty now? (sorry for my lack of knowledge on this!)

When you say Canon, which number/dept?

Yep they will still do it for free for you but you'll need to pay for shipping to them.

Give them a call on 01737 220000 and follow the prompts.

And remember to as in writing when you send it on for the shutter count.

Back