1D4 vs 1D3 how much better you likey?

Name
Robin
Edit My Images
Yes
For those that ditched their 1D MK IIIs for the Mk IV what would you say to the following?

1) How high an ISO are you happy to shoot at to get decent images (i.e. without too much PP work)?

2) How much better is the AI Servo?

3) How do you rate the screen compared to the "crappy" Mk III screen.

4) Anything else.

1. As high as is needed (Bring on the 1DX)
2. 40% better but make sure the settings are set for the situation
3. 50% better
4. Faster focus

Thanks Tug. Just what I was looking for.

Ah yes Oli I forgot video which I would really like.

I really miss my IV, it was pretty much everything I wanted in a camera. I just couldn't bear to see £3k (plus a 24-70mm lens) sitting on my shelf doing nothing.

Digital Rev did a review of both and didn't think it was much of an upgrade from a III, but if you need/want video its always a bonus. I'll see if I can dig it out :)

Thanks Oli.

For those that ditched their 1D MK IIIs for the Mk IV what would you say to the following?

1) How high an ISO are you happy to shoot at to get decent images (i.e. without too much PP work)?

2) How much better is the AI Servo?

3) How do you rate the screen compared to the "crappy" Mk III screen.

4) Anything else.

I upgraded 2 weeks ago. To answer your questions: -

1. I shoot indoor ice hockey. I'd go to ISO 1600 on the mk III, and now use 2500 on the mk IV, with no difference in noise.

2. This surprised me. I was expecting better high ISO performance, but the improvement in auto focus tracking is what grabbed me with the new camera. Maybe I had a dodgy mk III (although it had been back for the submirror fix) but the mk IV is miles ahead for what I shoot.

3. Not really noticed this too much. I have review turned off for my shooting (I know the arenas I'm shooting in pretty well, so set the camera during warm up, and don't check it again).

4. Anything else? File sizes! I'd kinda got used to nice manageable 5MB jpegs from the mk III, and all of a sudden, I'm uploading hundreds of 9-10MB files. More disk space needed!

I don't really have much call for video capabilities, but from the playing around I've done, the quality is excellent.

Hope this helps - let me know if you have any specific questions.

Cheers

Tredders

Thanks Tredders

How do you find 3200 and 6400?

Thanks Tredders

How do you find 3200 and 6400?

I only very briefly tried 3200 indoors and it looked as though it introduced a little noise. Not much, but enough to be noticeable. I don't have a huge amount of time between hockey games finishing and having to get photos to the press, so tried to find settings which were the best balance of performance and image quality straight out of the camera.

I'll shoot a selection of pics this weekend at higher ISO and upload them for you to have a look at.

Smashing cheers Mark.

I'll shoot a selection of pics this weekend at higher ISO and upload them for you to have a look at.

Did you forget about me now?

Sorry Rob - I actually did take some pics at ISO 3200, but forgot to post them. Here you go - they look fine at web resolution, but you can see a little noise creeping in. Still perfectly useable for my website stuff, and newspapers.

i-gkZFXxR-X3.jpg

i-FKNLZXb-X3.jpg

Mark.

Last edited:
Thanks Mark.

Any at 6400?

Thanks Mark.

Any at 6400?

No, sorry. I can take a few samples in the garden tomorrow, if that helps.

I'd rarely go higher than 1600 on the mk III. I'd rate 2500 on the mk IV as better than that, noise wise.

Not to worry about the 6400 in the garden unless you have a big garden and whippet handy :D

Whats wrong wiht the 6400 and 12800 etc in the sports section of photo sharing? anything taken in a real situation beats anyhting taken as a test.. I dont understand this..its not as if there are no high iso pics about?

sorry just an observation

and mark.. them faces are too red :)

Not to worry about the 6400 in the garden unless you have a big garden and whippet handy :D

It's funny you should say that....

(I don't!).

I'm shooting another hockey game on Sat. I'll crank the ISO up during warm up and take some.

I'd rarely go higher than 1600 on the mk III. I'd rate 2500 on the mk IV as better than that, noise wise.

I have thosuands of ice hockey pics at iso 2500 on the mkIII ..I actualy found it to be a sweet spot for the mkIII iso :)

Whats wrong wiht the 6400 and 12800 etc in the sports section of photo sharing? anything taken in a real situation beats anyhting taken as a test.. I dont understand this..its not as if there are no high iso pics about?

sorry just an observation

and mark.. them faces are too red :)

How about because I never shoot at 6400 or 12800 and was replying to a specific question about ISP comparisons in this forum?

How about because I never shoot at 6400 or 12800 and was replying to a specific question about ISP comparisons in this forum?

eh? no idea what your talking about... I was reffering to the request for high iso shots when there are already high iso shots about.. rather than trying to get someone to go out getting them.. why not look in sports... seems logical to me

what you on about?

Sorry - misread your reply (long day!). I read it that you were asking why I'd posted those ISO 3200 pics here instead of in the sports section.

iPhone screen + tired = bad combination.

Oh and all of our players have that healthy glow... It's the air in Coventry that does it.

no worries... but if you ever get to blackburn ice arena you may change your mind about that iso 6400 :) start of season all the lights are working.. as the season goes on there are less and less...gloomy..

try pixel peeper for full res examples, you can select the camera, the lens, the ISO and the aperture and it finds full res images, might not be sport but might be as well

no worries... but if you ever get to blackburn ice arena you may change your mind about that iso 6400 :) start of season all the lights are working.. as the season goes on there are less and less...gloomy..

It's been years since I've been to the Blackburn rink - probably 15 or more. I feel old just thinking about it...

I think what you say is completely right - if I had terrible light at Cov then I'd have no hesitation in cranking the ISO up. Luckily I can shoot at 2500 and it's pretty clean. I feel guilty about bitching about the couple of bulbs we have out at one end now though :)

Tony - you may recall this thread I started back in January that you kindly contributed a lot to.

I went back to search for it, but all the images shown have disappeared.

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=285644&page=2

All my kids sports in winter start at 2-3pm. My shots at 1600 I have been perfectly happy with. See below (the fact that my 300/2.8 need another +2 MA is down to me being a numbnuts) but I don't think I have kept anything at 3200 as I wasn't happy with them.

Maybe I need as you mention to fill the frame more.

1D MK3 ISO 1600 F2.8 1/800 300/2.8 non IS

p615937780-4.jpg

Just dragging up this old thread as I couldn't wait any longer and have one coming (2nd hand).

Before I read the manual....

For rugby & football are there any settings which are pretty much a given that would differ from a Mk3?

Will download the manual now but if anyone is bored and can contribute - fab.

Just seen this thread aswell..interesting to see people think the mark3 screen is rubbish! try using it compared to a mark2 one! its awesome LOL!

I've just bought a mk4 and find a big difference to my mk3's. Focus is snappier and better and locks onto dark/black better. Only used it once so far at Lee Valley ice rink at 1600 ISO. Not many oof and didnt need to run through any noise reduction software.

(y)

iso 3200 and dont use noise reduction either on mkIV

I will have one for sale dont forget.. end of april now.. only £2k :)

Took this a few weeks back, I couldn't have taken this shot with the MkIII

1D IV
ISO 8000
1/500th
f/4

scaled.php

Back