1Ds 3 or 5D3?

Name
Andrew Blundred
Edit My Images
Yes
I have decided to make the switch to full frame, although I have a budget that I have to stick to.

I was looking for a 2nd hand 5D3, ideally clean with low shutter count but have come across a 1Ds 3, immaculate, boxed, low count. Its looks basically unused for £1300.

Having no prior full frame experience I wondered which would be the option that others would go for?

The body I need will primarily be used for magazine and studio work.

Thanks.

It looks like your intended usage isn't going to require you to get away from the lower end of the Iso scale so the 1Ds3 would be my choice (having owned both).

Bob

In terms of noise then it's maybe 1.5 stops so not that much. The thing that I noticed was that the colour tones deteriorated more noticeably as the iso was increased...a shame really because the 1DsMkIII has wonderful colour rendition at the lower end of the iso range (better than the 1Dx IMHO).

Bob

5D3 has more sharpness due to weaker AA filter. The only real reason to go for 1Ds would be a much tougher build and (arguably) a better body shape. You can't go wrong with either, but price-wise I'd personally like to pay less for 7 year old body. I'll probably get a 1Ds3 one day just because I always wanted one for no real reason... for under £700... It'll happen sooner than 5DIV hits the shelves.

Thanks for the comments, think I am going to pass on the 1d and wait for a 5...

Back