1Ds Mark 2 or 5D?

You will be surprised how easy the 1 series are to use, i went from a 50d to the Mk2n then Mk3 and find them very easy to use.

The biggest thing is the size and weight issue of them.

After a lot of oohing and ahhing I have decided on the 5D2. Will be picking it up later. Has the best canon sensor, has video which I like the idea of using too. Lastly the AF on my 400D and 40D managed to capture plenty of sharp shots of skateboarding, so I presume I will be able to work with the 5D AF too. This will last til the Mk3 comes out.

After a lot of oohing and ahhing I have decided on the 5D2. Will be picking it up later. Has the best canon sensor, has video which I like the idea of using too. Lastly the AF on my 400D and 40D managed to capture plenty of sharp shots of skateboarding, so I presume I will be able to work with the 5D AF too. This will last til the Mk3 comes out.

I don`t think you will be disappointed. (y)

I have recently sold a 5D classic and upgraded to the 5D MK2. I have also bought a 1D MK3 to replace my 1D MK2. I wouldn't worry too much about picking up the controls on the 1D MK3 they are far easier than the previous generation and have similar menus to the 5D MK2s. You only have to press one button at a time so pretty simple. The 1DS MK2 is slightly less intuitive but still no problem

The 5Ds are much lighter without a grip than the 1 series but when you add a grip there isn't too much difference.

Both the 5D, 5D MK2 and 1D MK3 are pretty good at high iso (1600). The 5D classic a bit ropey at 3200 the other two quite usable.

The biggest things to consider in my opinion are print size, focus speed both one shot and servo and price.

The 5D classic is still a decent camera for weddings and a great camera for portraits. It struggles to focus a bit in low light but the centre point isn't too bad. It still produces beautiful images. No inbuilt dust removal. You can get a decent 5d for around £700 2nd user if you are patient. You could probably keep the 30D and it uses the same batteries I think.

The 5D MK2 produces beautiful images but will have the same focus issues as its predecessor. Brilliant for portraits but buying new will mean you might lose a bit more when reselling. Dust removal a real bonus as the 5Ds are dust magnets and video may be useful.

The 1D MK3 is very good in low light. Good high iso files and excellent focussing both in servo and one shot. Brilliant build quality and going for a reasonable price. I bought mine for £1290 two days ago. It is mint and has only done around 10K clicks.

I buy and sell quite often and if there are a few items that I cannot choose between I tend to wait and see what I can pick up for a bottom of the market price. If you think you have made a mistake at a later date you can usually get your cash back. Always worth keeping an eye on Gumtree and the classified as there are still deals to be had. I missed out on a 5D gripped with a Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 all boxed and for £700 last week.

Fair point; maybe just get one that comes in a great package deal for a very good price. All 3 cameras are pro models and should do a good job.

I have recently sold a 5D classic and upgraded to the 5D MK2. I have also bought a 1D MK3 to replace my 1D MK2. I wouldn't worry too much about picking up the controls on the 1D MK3 they are far easier than the previous generation and have similar menus to the 5D MK2s. You only have to press one button at a time so pretty simple. The 1DS MK2 is slightly less intuitive but still no problem

The 5Ds are much lighter without a grip than the 1 series but when you add a grip there isn't too much difference.

Both the 5D, 5D MK2 and 1D MK3 are pretty good at high iso (1600). The 5D classic a bit ropey at 3200 the other two quite usable.

The biggest things to consider in my opinion are print size, focus speed both one shot and servo and price.

The 5D classic is still a decent camera for weddings and a great camera for portraits. It struggles to focus a bit in low light but the centre point isn't too bad. It still produces beautiful images. No inbuilt dust removal. You can get a decent 5d for around £700 2nd user if you are patient. You could probably keep the 30D and it uses the same batteries I think.

The 5D MK2 produces beautiful images but will have the same focus issues as its predecessor. Brilliant for portraits but buying new will mean you might lose a bit more when reselling. Dust removal a real bonus as the 5Ds are dust magnets and video may be useful.

The 1D MK3 is very good in low light. Good high iso files and excellent focussing both in servo and one shot. Brilliant build quality and going for a reasonable price. I bought mine for £1290 two days ago. It is mint and has only done around 10K clicks.

I buy and sell quite often and if there are a few items that I cannot choose between I tend to wait and see what I can pick up for a bottom of the market price. If you think you have made a mistake at a later date you can usually get your cash back. Always worth keeping an eye on Gumtree and the classified as there are still deals to be had. I missed out on a 5D gripped with a Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 all boxed and for £700 last week.

Back