1Dx tethered on TV

Name
Robin
Edit My Images
Yes
I was watching the Man U game last night on TV and the TV cameras for second focussed on a 1Dx where the guy was chimping.

What was interesting was that he had a Cat5 or network cable coming out of it.

Could you do this going directly in to Lightroom?

If so I may give this a go.

Is cat5 not quicker?................. and frees up a USB?

The Ethernet port is faster than USB 1.0 or 2.0 and I don't think the 1Dx has USB 3.0. Other benefits include, the Ethernet cable will be clipped in, so less likely to be pulled out compared to a USB port and additionally you can use a much longer cable allowing you to tether directly to a machine based elsewhere on the network.

The 1DX allows editors to remotely access images directly from camera. Or it may have been a third party doing the selection/edit/wire.

I was watching the Man U game last night on TV and the TV cameras for second focussed on a 1Dx where the guy was chimping.

What was interesting was that he had a Cat5 or network cable coming out of it.

Could you do this going directly in to Lightroom?

If so I may give this a go.

Did you think the Cat5 was only connected to download images rather than connected permanently during shooting to then instantly ingest? :shrug:

Nigel - no idea, it was literally a shot for 1 second on TV. All you saw was the camera with the cat5 coming out of it. I would just like to try it tethered to my laptop.

I agree Simon above that the Cat5 would be so much better as it's clipped in. I like the idea of having the laptop on the Peli case. Shoot something worthwhile, edit quick as poss and wire off.

I just can't figure out the network setting at the moment as EOS Utility or LR don't recognise the camera.

I am still too slow with locking, importing, editing, captioning and then wiring.

Hi Rob,
I ain't viewed your link but if it's anything like the WT-1A wireless transmitter I got for the Nion D2h I can guess!!;).
The item never got used as I'm a bit thick when it comes to IT:shrug:.

will put it on the "for sales" page if anyone wants it?.

"I am still too slow with locking, importing, editing, captioning and then wiring."
It'll all come with practice Rob walk before you run!

Last edited:
Well I have got to the stage where it says it's pairing but it doesn't look like it's going to happen as it should have done it by now.

A load of pish really. Should be easier than this :bang:

Back