1DX v 7D mkii

Name
Dean
Edit My Images
No
Hi i am looking to swap my 7d mk ii with a 1DX mk i , i do a lot of wildlife photography BIF , whats peoples thoughts on this , good idea or not . thanks

Hi i am looking to swap my 7d mk ii with a 1DX mk i , i do a lot of wildlife photography BIF , whats peoples thoughts on this , good idea or not . thanks

Have shot with both at the same time. 1DX is a different level, albeit I used them for sport not wildlife.

so are you saying i would notice the difference in image quality , focusing speed , even though its an older camera , i would be using it with 100-400 ii and sigma sport 150-600 , thanks

A 1DX is a professional full frame body. A 7D MkII is a semi pro APS-C body. The difference in camera operation, build quality and high ISO image quality will be huge. However, if you're doing a lot of wildlife and BIF photography then factor in that you will lose a lot of effective reach with your lenses making this switch. The 7D MkII has a 1.6x crop factor due to the smaller sensor

I use the 1DX, 7D2 and 100-400 Mk2 - not much experience with the Sigma.

For outright AF performance, IQ, performance in adverse conditions and responsiveness the 1DX is the better camera. Yes the 1DX will give less "Reach" but this only happens under ideal conditions - for everything else the 1DX is just a better camera IMO.

Before you decide have a play with a 1 series first - they operate a little differently (better) but they weigh a ton!

so are you saying i would notice the difference in image quality , focusing speed , even though its an older camera , i would be using it with 100-400 ii and sigma sport 150-600 , thanks
It's not just a little bit - with a still subject filling the frame then you might not notice a massive difference - for anything moving then the focus and image quality are loads better with the 1dx - I've got two and use them to shoot sport with a 400 f2.8 and 70-200 f2.8 - but I also use them to shoot wildlife as a hobby and they are great with the 100-400 mkii - it also plays nicely with the 1.4 and 2x convertors

Last edited:
Just bought a 1DX myself a few weeks ago and I am afraid the 7D MKII will sit in the bag for a while. Just shot my sons hurling match last night (finished around 9pm) no floodlights came on ,and with 1000ISO it rarely missed a beat.

Advantages of the Canon 1D X

Shoots much faster

14 fps vs 10 fps

40% faster continuous shooting

Significantly larger screen

8.1cm vs 7.6cm

Around 10% larger screen

Significantly larger viewfinder

0.76x vs 0.62x

Around 50% larger viewfinder

Much longer battery life

1500 shots vs 670 shots

More than 2x more shots per battery charge

Advantages of the Canon 7D Mark II

Continuous video focus

Yes vs No

Record movies without worrying about focus

Much smaller

149×112×78 mm vs 158×164×83 mm

Around 40% smaller

More lenses available

220 lenses vs 165 lenses

More than 30% more lenses available

Has a GPS

Yes vs No

Automatically geotags your photos when traveling

Higher true resolution

20 MP vs 18.1 MP

Capture more than 10% more detail in your photos

Much lighter

910 g vs 1,530 g

More than 40% lighter

Significantly thinner

7.8cm vs 8.3cm

Around 10% thinner

Built-in flash

Yes vs No

A built-in flash is useful for taking indoor shots where there is little light

Slightly more focus points

65 vs 61

Set focus accurately within the frame

I almost exclusively shoot wildlife (and steam locomotives when given the opportunity) and had a 7D-2 for several years, upgrading from my first digital camera, the excellent 70D. I later bought a 5D-4 as a second body and my first full-frame and found that I used it more than the 7D-2. A year later I had the opportunity to buy a brand new unused 1DX-2 with a substantial discount helped further by selling my 5D-4.

I was always very pleased with the results I could get on my 7D-2 but was hardly ever using it once I had the 1DX-2 (the 1DX-1 is very similar I understand) and so I sold it together with my excellent but too small EOS M5 and replaced it with a EOS-R to live mostly on my Macro lens.

So to answer the original question and to confirm what others have already said, the 1DX is a different league. I would add that if you use big telephoto lenses the 1DX is better balanced physically although mounting a Canon battery grip on the 7D-2 helps. On a tripod it doesn't matter so much.

Having owned the 7dmk2 and now using the 1dx there's no comparison. I don't recall missing the 1.6 crop once whereas the Autofocus, IQ, and ISO performance are leagues apart.

1DX definitely.
The batteries just go on and on and on...etc!!
Not just shots per charge, I'm using an LP-E4 in my 1DX that i got with a 1D III about 6 years ago and it's still showing 3 bars Max performance!!!

I use the 1DX, 7D2 and 100-400 Mk2 - not much experience with the Sigma.

For outright AF performance, IQ, performance in adverse conditions and responsiveness the 1DX is the better camera. Yes the 1DX will give less "Reach" but this only happens under ideal conditions - for everything else the 1DX is just a better camera IMO.

Before you decide have a play with a 1 series first - they operate a little differently (better) but they weigh a ton!

+1. Not a casual walkabout camera but agree 100% with above

The longer reach isn't an issue as the quality of the full frame camera means you can crop in more without losing so much quality.. I would rather have the full frame and extra crop than the the extra 1.6

Back