1Dx which 'case' are you using for football & rugby

Name
Robin
Edit My Images
Yes
Just wondering what case you are using if you shoot football and rugby.

Yep that's correct Gary.

Ha ha good one Allan.

No Tug just borrowing my brother's & WHAT A CLOT AM I :bang:

I forgot that he had set the SET button to zoom. I was pressing the magnifier to zoom in and then by mistake I dropped my shutter speed down to 1/640th.

I prefer to shoot at a min of 1/1000th when I can.

Not much to shoot as son no2s team were getting hammered. He scored both his teams tries but from the back of rucks & I wasn't expecting it, so didn't camera to eye :bonk:

Funny but too damn right.

And here's a massive crop of him getting taken out..

p1186514200-6.jpg

Didn't hurt him.

What hurt me was the embarassment of missing both his tires #awaywiththefairies

You mean this 18st U15s Fijian..

p1186831170-6.jpg

I dont get on with anyhting bar case 1 ..i tried 4 which is reccomended for field sport but didnt like it.. It may also be down to the way each person shoots.. I have never done a lot of tracking , i go for the pre emptive approach **** has stuck with my from my olympus digital days

I read an article by some guy who shoots a lot of field sports in the US and he also said he just left it at 1.

dunno why there are asterix in my reply... 20 years I ahve been online and never written an offensive swear word... IRC, Chatrooms, BBS, news groups, social media, msn, messageboards.. used them all and never ever typed the f word... 20 yrs never felt the need.

Must have been another naughty word that the system is programmed to check for.

Tony's in the dog house. Tony's in the dog house nah nah nah :D

Yaeh blud. I fink hees sysdexlick.

I had hair in the 80s...

Just been reading this http://www.sportsshooter.com/news_story.html?id=2678 and took notice of

Shutter release time lag (Orange 6): Shortened! Read the “INFO.”

I have just set this too shortened. Might be worth having a look at.

Also this

AI Servo 1st and 2nd Image Priority (Magenta 2): I have both these set to “Equal Priority”. The AF in this camera is so good that I don’t think there is any need to skew this either way.

I have both set to Focus priority.

Any thoughts from anyone?

I have both image priority to focus

i dont understand the for or against for shutter release so i havent touched it ..

I don't understand it either Tony.

Off out now for son's football match. 1st half with 300 & 1.4x and 2nd half bare 300.

Not planning to change anything else and compare how many in focus.

Hopefully he'll get plenty of the ball within shooting distance.

just going myself.. ladies footy and realised i have never tried the 1dx with 400 amd 1.4 .. the 70-200 and that combo yes.. gonna give a try today..

Yes I should have taken the 5D3 with the 70-200 doh

Tony

How did you get on with the 400 + 1.4x. The 300 + 1.4x is superb.

had my big lasagne tea.. just going through pics now.. get some out for paper.. the 400 is pure sharpness even at 2.8 all distances.. with the 1.4 you can see slightly not as sharp.. but worse at full leangth of pitch.. better filling the frame...

to be honest shooting wihtout it and cropping in probably better because so sharp..

will see if got time for examples after.

mine was done wide open at f4

Excuse the watermark - 300 with the 1.4x

p1192963388-6.jpg

And of course I missed the ball with son no2 scoring a goal :bonk:

p1193015800-5.jpg

i can get some loverly sharp shots wiht the combo.. thats not the problem.. consistantly.. every shot.. thats better without the TC

02:23 a late night then Tony?

Using the 300m for more distant stuff, I've tried AF cases 2,4 and 5 for football and now settled on case 4. For closer shots with the 200mm.....I'm not sure yet, case 5 looks to be more suitable.

Bob

2.30 am is my average time for bed and up around 9am

And me Julie gives him no rest in between those times..

Back