1dx2 - Songkran festival - Thailand - Water pistol protection?

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm considering a trip to Thailand next month for the Songkran festival - where lots of people have a giant street party - and hundreds, if not thousands of people are armed with big blasting water pistols.

Now call me crazy (Most people do) - but I'd like to get into the crowds and shoot it with a 1dx2 and a 16-35 (possibly) for an up-close and personal record of the event.

The 1dx2 is vaguely weatherproof - but is in no way Songkran-proof - so wanting to know if anyone has experience of the waterproof protection options on the market - including the Dicapak case from South Korea (Silly name) - although this doesn't specifically list the 1d series - so I'm thinking it might not be big enough - or alternatively I've come across a company called Outex that provide customised rubber covers to seal out the elements. I'm certainly not in a position to get one of the ikelite cases that cost an arm and a leg just for a weekend event - but would certainly like to hear from anyone that has experience of either of these brands mentioned, or have an idea of other options that I might not have considered.

I have seen rain covers - but I don't think they'd be up to the job.

Ziplock plastic bag? Take a few in case one gets damaged. Elastic band the bag tight against the lens hood.

Or buy one of the small shockproof, waterproof compact cameras. You could take it snorkeling as well.

Having seen this from a safe distance I'd stay well clear :D but just in case you must go I wonder if you've seen it?

I ask because they don't just use big water pistols, I've seen hose pipes, buckets, tubs and barrels of water deployed and used :D so I think you should not only consider a volume of water but also some force behind it and the fact that your gear and whatever is protecting it could get a really good and prolonged heavy soaking with some force behind it.

I daresay that you already have it but it sounds like you will need a good camera insurance policy with a helpful stance on water damage.

If you want to go really crazy you could always shoot some film through one of the Nikonos cameras. They were made for underwater use and can work equally well on land. 35mmc blog have a good blog post about using one at the seaside.

Olympus Tough?

Having seen this from a safe distance I'd stay well clear :D but just in case you must go I wonder if you've seen it?

I ask because they don't just use big water pistols, I've seen hose pipes, buckets, tubs and barrels of water deployed and used :D so I think you should not only consider a volume of water but also some force behind it and the fact that your gear and whatever is protecting it could get a really good and prolonged heavy soaking with some force behind it.

This - eye protection is also a must, think face mask etc. How about getting a fluorescent tabard made up thats says press.

As mentioned they use buckets of water and all sorts. So the only 100% option is an underwater housing. Not ideal as it won't be cheap but cheaper than a replacement camera.

Just to add something not so fun. My Mrs is Thai and she brought up something that I hadn't thought of... the possibility of assault. If there are any females with you everyone should be careful as there's nothing to spoil the experience like a verbal or physical sexual assault.

Back