1dx2 video running too fast?

Name
Gavin
Edit My Images
Yes
I have no idea whats going on here..
Have done a couple of video clips yesterday, and it all seems to run too fast?
I think the settings were 4k@50fps - but I've noticed the 'high frame rate' 120fps slow motion vids are also running fast than the slow motion?
They playback fine on the camera, but now downloaded they all run too fast?
I know this will be basic (both the question and the answer :D ) but any pointers please?!

What software are you using to play the video back with?
By all accounts there are only two types that canon recommend and I can't remember what they are.

just the standard windows video player :| - I'll go and have a look to see what canon say.
but even the upload to youtube doesn't correct it?

edit to add - downloaded eos movie utility from canons' site - on loading the video above, it plays the same high speed, even though it says playback speed is 1.0x. :|

Last edited:
Well I'm not a video person and my 1dx3 does not arrive til Monday but, I'll have a browse and see if I can help.

Final Cut Pro or Avid Media according to canon.

That may or may not help.

Think if you in the U.K Pal is the suggested setting . I don`t know if this helps or makes a difference , but I been advised to shoot video manually , using 1/50th of a sec , at iso 320 where poss , and adjust aperture accordingly . If you need to up the iso to get that 1/50th , then it`s best to up it in the odds , ie 320 640 1250 . No expert , just tips given to me by someone who I consider is . ;)

Thank you...
I have had to resort to the manual lol....
I did find this:

Capture.JPG

I think I'm going to abandon 4k movies for now, I'll change to ".mp4" format for maximum compatibility and stick to 1080p instead. :)

Not sure why it's doing that but generally you will be importing your clips into some kind of editing software and you would set up the sequence for correct speed there.
Recording at 4K or at 50fps shouldn't have any bearing on it but 1080p files are easier to deal with while experimenting.

If you shoot in "PAL" (25/50fps) and playback on a player expecting "NTSC" it'll playback @ 30/60fps... The key is consistency surely?

The youtube video is 4K dimensions but lowish bitrate and was exported and uploaded at 25fps.

The youtube video is 4K dimensions but lowish bitrate and was exported and uploaded at 25fps.
This is what I don't understand - the file downloaded straight from the camera also says 25fps - but I'm 100% sure it was set to 50fps :confused:

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    89 KB · Views: 8
50i (interlaced) or 50p (progressive)

50i would be every other line 50 times per second (net 25 full frames per 50 interlaced frames)

50p would be 50 full frames per 50 frames

This is what I don't understand - the file downloaded straight from the camera also says 25fps - but I'm 100% sure it was set to 50fps :confused:
I'd say the video was running at 2x speed and it runs about 32sec, so the analysis is correct.
It looks like it was shot at 25fps, but I can offer no reason as to why.

I think, rather than my concern whether the rate was shot at 25 or 50... the fact when downloaded it runs fast is the major problem.

Think if you in the U.K Pal is the suggested setting . I don`t know if this helps or makes a difference , but I been advised to shoot video manually , using 1/50th of a sec , at iso 320 where poss , and adjust aperture accordingly . If you need to up the iso to get that 1/50th , then it`s best to up it in the odds , ie 320 640 1250 . No expert , just tips given to me by someone who I consider is . ;)
Right, I not wonder if this might be my issue.....
before taking the clips I was switching between photo's and videos, so my shutter speed will have been up at 1/1600 - 1/2000.
Reading the correlation of frame rate to shutter speed can give a more robotised effect.... I am thinking this is also causing a speeding up?.... I'll have a play & test to check it out.

Shutter speed and frame rate aren't directly linked
You set your frame rate(fps) somewhere in the camera quality settings. You can use any shutter speed* but usual advice is aim for 2x Frame rate, this is purely to achive a natural smooth looking degree of motion blur between each frame.
*You can't adjust the shutter to be slower than the frame rate the camera won't even let you.

I'm not sure how all editing software handles footage not recorded at the fps you intend to output.
In Premiere you can play about with clip speeds at will then just set your export fps at what you want.
However if you chop and change between (e.g.) 30fps and 25fps you can get problematic jerking and missing frames.
It is best to either keep it the same throughout e.g. 25 or 30fps or record at twice that 50-60 or even 100-120 so you can divide exactly by 2 or 4 then you'll get smooth output at 25fps.
Or you can output at say 50fps
It sounds more complicated than it is.
To start with shoot at 25 or 30 fps and use that throughout then it can't go wrong.
You can disregard PAL NTSC nowadys it only really affects the available frame rates.
Youtube may play better with 30fps, can't say I noticed much difference, and the US also widely uses 24fps which seems to work OK too.

Last edited:
What does media info or properties say about the file you recorded, is it possible your SD card in't up to it?
4K 50 is a lot of data at higher bitrate.
Also can you confirm not using the interlaced option mentioned earlier.

Last edited:
it doesn't say it's interlaced, the properties do say frame rate: 50 on the new 'fast ones'.
I'm using a CFast card which has never failed me.
Now, I have now done a 4k25 video (with shutter of 1/50), and it's much smoother and looks fine.

Very bizarre.

Back