1dx2 vs 5dsr.

Name
Tony
Edit My Images
Yes
Well, here I am having a self doubt moment.

I bought a 1dx2 about 18 months ago and at the time it was a flip of the coin between that and a 5dsr.

I'm wondering what real benefits, asides 14fps, the 1dx has over the 5dsr?
I think I could still nail an aircraft in flight at 5fps and with all the extra pixels had 5dsr has I could afford to crop a fair bit.
The added effective resolution may also go some way to negating the need for me to buy longer exotic lenses.

I bought a 1dx2 about 18 months ago and at the time it was a flip of the coin between that and a 5dsr.
I must admit I'm struggling to understand how you got to that point. The two cameras aren't remotely comparable.

What do you actually want to do? Start with that, and then work out which camera has the capabilities you require.

As Stewart has written, they're entirely different bodies and they really only coincide at sensor size.

Cropping the 50Mp of the 5DSr isn't going to give you images that equal an uncropped 1Dx2 wiith a 'decent' lens unless you have the exotic lenses that you're trying to avoid. Lens resolution and iso noise (at >iso 800) will be your limiting factor and a 5DmkIV might be a better option to give you some moderate latitude when it comes to cropping as it sits between the two in terms of resolution and noise performance.

Bob.

The 1DX 2 strengths are really the 14 fps and 400,000 Kevlar shutter / fast processors / tracking ability at those high speeds etc.

The 5D is more for making a smaller number of very high quality / res photos, taking your time. Large prints of stunning detail etc.

That is the way I see them anyway, suited to different people.

I have both 1Dx2 and 5DsR.... with limited fps and too low buffer, the chances for you to get the shot is low and you could potentially missing shots when you hit the buffer on 5DsR. That said, I used 5DsR for birding/BIF/etc... and found that I have more successful rate with 1Dx2 for action shots. The AF is noticeably much better than 5DsR... this is apples to oranges comparison as the AF module is from 1Dx. I also found the 1D files are easier to process and I feel that they have more latitudes to it.

Overall, having both is dream come true, now I use 1Dx for action shots and for portrait/close up shots paired with 500mm II and/or 16-35mm and/or 24-70mm, 5DsR comes in play...

Having 5DsR doesn't mean you will negate the will of owning super white telephoto, but chances of missing shots is high!

I picked 5DsR over 5D4 for the resolution. As for noise, I do not find any issues with ISO6400 shots either.

Last edited:
I understand the two cameras are different but it still seems that speed of operation is really the only thing the 1dx2 has going for it.
In truth I'm not overwhelmed with the 1dx2 high iso performance. I would say tops it was only about 1.5 stops better than my 7d2.
And, if I am to believe the testing done at DPreview, if you downsize a picture taken with the 5dsr the iso capabilities look comparable to the 1dx2 (albeit limited to 12800.

Don't get me wrong, the 1dx2 is a great camera but I'm wondering if it's £2,200 better. Not to mention the cost of a cfast card and reader.

Perhaps I should save up for a 5dsr as well.

Last edited:
The 1DX 2 strengths are really the 14 fps and 400,000 Kevlar shutter / fast processors / tracking ability at those high speeds etc.

the high iso capabilites the quite brilliant anti flicker and and..

Don't get me wrong, the 1dx2 is a great camera but I'm wondering if it's £2,200 better.

for me and many others its worth every penny for things you havent even listed... for you probably not :)

Did I mention I aspire to be an amateur? :):canon:

Ok, where I think the 1dx2 is better.

FPS.
Buffer depth.
Maybe AF speed.
Shutter longevity.
Marginal ISO performance.

It's not really a compelling list for non professionals.

It's not really a compelling list for non professionals.

I am not quite sure what being a professional has to do with anything ? serioous question

I understand the two cameras are different but it still seems that speed of operation is really the only thing the 1dx2 has going for it.
In truth I'm not overwhelmed with the 1dx2 high iso performance. I would say tops it was only about 1.5 stops better than my 7d2.
And, if I am to believe the testing done at DPreview, if you downsize a picture taken with the 5dsr the iso capabilities look comparable to the 1dx2 (albeit limited to 12800.

Don't get me wrong, the 1dx2 is a great camera but I'm wondering if it's £2,200 better. Not to mention the cost of a cfast card and reader.

Perhaps I should save up for a 5dsr as well.

Only you can decide whether 1Dx2 is £2k better than others... otherwise grass is always greener on other side of the fence.

Suggest you to rent one and try out side by side with your 1Dx2, play with the RAW file and decide that way. This is the best option for your decision making and not based on internet.

I am not quite sure what being a professional has to do with anything ? serioous question

It appears to me the camera was aimed squarely at sports and wildlife professionals. Or the people who have no choice but to go out in harsh environments to earn a crust from photography.
As a hobbyist I have no need to worry if I get the shot or not. In the main, I'll just go back and try again.

So, my point being, as in my opening post is, I'm trying to rationalize if the 1dx2 was the right choice for me. And the more I think about it, and the more comments I read, it probably wasn't.
None the less, the short list of things it does better is not that impressive.

the short list of things it does better is not that impressive.

...for you

The 1DX2 is aimed squarely at those photographers who need the most rugged hardware and fast/consistent AF. From your posts, it sounds like any FF or Crop body would be a better option and realistically, you may be better with something like a 7D2 if you shoot more telephoto as you'll gain some reach with the crop sensor (rather than simply cropping a FF image each time). I don't see the 5DSR as being any better for your needs.

I must admit I'm struggling to understand how you got to that point. The two cameras aren't remotely comparable.

What do you actually want to do? Start with that, and then work out which camera has the capabilities you require.

^^^ This. Then get a 5D4.

Sell the 1d x 2 and get the 5d instead is what he is talking about.
Well pretty much now.
I think my decision at point of sale was swayed by the sheer bigness of the 1dx2 and that satisfying shutter clatter at 14fps.

Have the original 1DX & a 5DSr.....if one had to go it would be the 5D but probably because I enjoy sports, aviation shots etc..and huge file sizes, poor high iso would be my gripes on the 5D ( but only minor as it’s a great piece of kit) . The 1D is a tank though and not ideal for carrying great distances especially with a long lens..... if I was starting from scratch I’d have a long look at 4D as it ticks a hell of a lot of boxes and bridges some of the gaps...other issues are having the wrong body when unexpected opportunities come up and / or the risk of all that kit in your car , home, office....apart from the need for deep pockets.....Never forget Canon love to sell us stuff and will never produce the perfect all rounder for this very reason....[emoji106] if you have money to spend maybe invest in good glass ....it will hold its value better than a body will...

One of the reasons I picked up the 1DX MarkII is because of how flexible it is. I'd happily shoot portraiture, landscape, action, sports, or wildlife. Whilst I don't own the 5DSR I'd imagine you're going to struggle with action and sports.

I haven't run mine through it's paces yet but ISO performance seems good, usable upto 12,800 under the right conditions.

Last edited:
If I still owned a 7d mkii I'd be looking at anything to replace it - some poor sucker probably owns my one after I flogged it to MPB - awful camera

1dx mkii and 5d (from mkiii onwards) on other hand are fantastic cameras

I wasn't interested in opinions on the 7d2, but now you bring it up..................The 7d2 is a great camera and you have no place putting it down. As things stand, and regardless of if I'm suffering buyers remorse (albeit somewhat belated) the 7d2 is an awesome camera and is still the best aps-c camera available with perhaps the exception of the d500.

I bought the 7d2 to compliment my 1dx2, which it does admirably. The poor sucker that bought your 7d2 is probably chuffed as nuts.

I wasn't interested in opinions on the 7d2, but now you bring it up..................The 7d2 is a great camera and you have no place putting it down. As things stand, and regardless of if I'm suffering buyers remorse (albeit somewhat belated) the 7d2 is an awesome camera and is still the best aps-c camera available with perhaps the exception of the d500.

I bought the 7d2 to compliment my 1dx2, which it does admirably. The poor sucker that bought your 7d2 is probably chuffed as nuts.

You are probably in a minority if you think the 7D2 is a great camera, and plenty of people who really do know what they are talking about put it down. In great light it is not too bad but anything other than that it is terrible.

If it is that great then keep it, sell the 1Dii and buy a 5D??? Best of both worlds for you.

I never said I knew what I was talking about.
And you're right, there are loads of really clever people on the internet who know the 7d2 is garbage.

Interesting thread, have you thought about going mirrorless?

I have both, for a car show .landscape, zoo 5Dsr for an Air show car/bike race or Bif 1DxmkII .
Rob.

Interesting thread, have you thought about going mirrorless?
Well Canon say they will be going mirrorless and if it is an ef mount design, I'll be seriously considering it.

I have both, for a car show .landscape, zoo 5Dsr for an Air show car/bike race or Bif 1DxmkII .
Rob.
Having both would be perfect but the 5dsr is not cheap and I come from a long line of peasants.

So why cant you just keep the 1d x 2 and be happy with it. It is one of the best cameras in the world.

Even if it is not fully utilised and you don't need some of the features, it is like that with any camera ( surely you don't NEED 50MP either )

Sorry, you don't appear to mention in this thread what you actually shoot?

Money doesn't appear to be the biggest issue as most people considering a 1dxii would research the heck out of it and every other camera on the market before purchasing. I'm not saying what is the right approach here, just speculating that it seems you don't have to sell the 1dxii if you don't want to?

All I'm going to add is this. The image quality from the 5dsr after cropping in 1.6x will be very similar (albeit slightly sharper) than your 7d2. Noise, dynamic range and colour. The downside is the slower frame rate and importing larger raw files just to crop down.

So it depends on how you will use it. If you will use it with the same lenses from the same distance as the 7d2 then don't bother, you already have that level of iq available to you.

If you are able to get closer and fill the frame with either the 1dxii or the 5dsr then my first question of what do you shoot, expands into how do you shoot to answer which camera is best...

Another factor in photography, without seeing your results, and this applies to most of us on this hobby site is to simply use the camera that gives you the most enjoyment. This is a 2 fold thing, most enjoyment in the field and most enjoyable files to look at and work with. I've always bought the equipment I've wanted, not because I've needed it, or my results deserve it, but because I love it.

Final question in offering an opinion on what bodies you should own is what lenses do you currently own?

Last edited:
I don't know it must be awful being stuck with Canon.Decisions,decisons. For Nikon users it's so clear the D500 for reach and 10fps, the D5 for lowlight 12 fps and the D850 for resolution and 9fps with grip.:exit:

I don't know it must be awful being stuck with Canon.Decisions,decisons. For Nikon users it's so clear the D500 for reach and 10fps, the D5 for lowlight 12 fps and the D850 for resolution and 9fps with grip.:exit:

You could take this one step further and say it’s awful being stuck with Nikon / DSLR’s.
Mirrorless is the future, if I was looking to buy an expensive body at this time, I’d seriously be considering waiting or looking at mirrorless options.

Not that simple when factoring used and other cameras, d4s, d7500, d7200, d810 all confuse things so much. The d4s has almost same low light as a d5, I cant tell them apart and a d4 is good, I have one

......The image quality from the 5dsr after cropping in 1.6x will be very similar (albeit slightly sharper) than your 7d2.......

You appear to have ignored the contribution of the lens in your assessment.

Back