1st attempt at bird photography - The Puffins of Skomer

Name
Jason Banbury
Edit My Images
No
Yesterday was my 1st attempt at photographing birds ... had a brilliant time with the Puffins on Skomer Island ... already thinking about a return visit!

IMG_8566.jpg

IMG_8664.jpg

IMG_8569.jpg

IMG_8654.jpg

IMG_8574.jpg

IMG_8506.jpg

C&C appreciated. Thanks for looking

Last edited:
Scarily close up, but I love them. I've never seen a puffin close up, a sort of Northern Hemisphere penguin.

That's a classic shot with the line of fish in the bill, I've always wondered how they achieve that.

Great shots j, nice and sharp and compositionally they all work for me, too.

Thanks Ian. Found it to be quite a steep lurning curve, very different for my normal motorsport photography.

Scarily close up, but I love them. I've never seen a puffin close up, a sort of Northern Hemisphere penguin.

That's a classic shot with the line of fish in the bill, I've always wondered how they achieve that.

Cheers, not sure what would work and what wouldnt.

How did you get number 6? looks like in you're in the burrow with them:D

Good stuff,
John

Thanks John :LOL: I used the 200mm for the close ups

As said above really awesome shots!

Phil

Cheers Phil

Excellent shots M8. I'd be really pleased with them if I were you.

Abslutely cracking images!

Fantastic shots, Love No. 4 - would love to go over there, sadly not this year, but maybe next.
What are the logistics of getting there, can you book an organised trip or is it just a ferry.
Am I right in thinking that the puffins are only there for a short time breeding and rearing their young (June/July?).

Thanks for the commetns all

What are the logistics of getting there, can you book an organised trip or is it just a ferry.
Am I right in thinking that the puffins are only there for a short time breeding and rearing their young (June/July?).

The total number of people allowed on the island is restricted to 250 per day, you catch a boat (obviously) to the island on a 1st come 1st served basis, I think the boat runs every hour and can take 50 people per trip. Boat costs £10, you then have to pay £7 landing fee. I'm not sure on the lengh of the breeding time but I beleive it's start around the beginning of June.

It's a fantastic place to visit.

Excellent series :clap::clap::clap:

Look forward to some more.

don't know how I missed these
most excellent
a couple of Puffin classics and new angles too! :clap:

Nos 2,4 & 5 are brilliant............and the others are merely great:clap::clap::clap:

These are really good, and different to the usual puffin shots (like the ones I took last week!) too. Makes me want to go and try again!

First attempt at bird photography??? :eek: What a stunning set :) I'd love to go to Skomer sometime. Have been to the Farne Islands :)

I believe they use their tongues to hold the already caught fish against the roof of the beak while they open it to catch the next one.

Beautiful shots mate. Well composed and pin sharp.:clap::clap::clap:
Looks like the light was nice and soft.. It was harsh as you like when I was there a few weeks ago... and hot as hell too... Still, I will be returning soon., is a great place.

Great shots.
I often get people say to me Britsih Birds are so dull and boring. I think this a fine example of how beautiful they are.

Great shots.
I often get people say to me Britsih Birds are so dull and boring. I think this a fine example of how beautiful they are.
:eek: what...? Just point them in the direction of a Kingfisher, Bullfinch, Goldie, Green Woody, GS Woody, Chaffinch, Whitethroat, Jay et al... none of which are dull and boring.:wacky:

Back