1st attempt at gym photos

Name
Rick
Edit My Images
Yes
Oppportunity to do a shoot for a gym yesterday - new venture for me and hopefully will generate some business in a new direction.

Interested to see what people think of them - used 1 or 2 off camera flashes depending on the pic - all shot fully manual on a 500d with a sigma 24-70.

7703731822_cc45b855be_c.jpg

7703732356_6670c743ea_c.jpg

I really like the overall feel of these images!,

the compositions are really strong.

the only thing i can really think of is that some of the shadows are quite distracting and ( image no/1 about the mirror) and that maybe a little more fill on the face of the model there is some detail there but not enough or conversely there is too much if you want a really strong shadow/hilight look?

really like them though hope it pushes some more work your way :D

I really like the overall feel of these images!,

the compositions are really strong.

the only thing i can really think of is that some of the shadows are quite distracting and ( image no/1 about the mirror) and that maybe a little more fill on the face of the model there is some detail there but not enough or conversely there is too much if you want a really strong shadow/hilight look?

really like them though hope it pushes some more work your way :D

Agree with all the above - to be honest I thought about shopping out the shadow above the mirror but couldnt be bothered!!:bonk: Many thanks for the very constructive comments.

Looks like it might pay off - just got another booking at the gym next week!! :)

You're tight to go with edgy lighting, it really does portray his physique well. Maybe slightly too edgy on #1. I've probably light this with a flashgun zoomed as far as it can and a slight diffusion such as greaseproof paper over the flash head. That should diffuse slightly whilst still keeping the edgy effect.

My advice is to watch out for your backgrounds, clear away any excess equipment.

Nice shots.

Appreciate the advice. Will try to implement that somehow but.its a busy gym and that's the owner. I was having to move my flash flash at times so that guys could do their deadlifts (counted 250 kilos on the bar!!). Just have to work round them I guess! Appreciate the help.

rbrown74 said:
Appreciate the advice. Will try to implement that somehow but.its a busy gym and that's the owner. I was having to move my flash flash at times so that guys could do their deadlifts (counted 250 kilos on the bar!!). Just have to work round them I guess! Appreciate the help.

That's a fair amount if weight to lift.

I bet they all wore belts too thinking it helps ;)

Good luck with the next one.

You're tight to go with edgy lighting, it really does portray his physique well. Maybe slightly too edgy on #1. I've probably light this with a flashgun zoomed as far as it can and a slight diffusion such as greaseproof paper over the flash head. That should diffuse slightly whilst still keeping the edgy effect.

My advice is to watch out for your backgrounds, clear away any excess equipment.

Nice shots.

What Phil said and as well as the backgrounds watch out for the splash that your flash is creating. The light diffraction and shadow of the head above the mirror mar the photo a bit (for me anyway).

Good lighting otherwise though.

Yeah, not best pleased with the shadows on review but really too many factors for me to pull together in a short space of time. I guess I'll get better each time but it ain't easy for sure!!!

Great to get help from experienced togs like yourselves. Many thanks

I think you got it spot on with the stereotype low key image. I can see those on gym walls as posters.

Back