1st Attempt at Light Trails WITH a Tripod

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
I took some light trails last winter by leaning on walls, telegraph poles and sitting down on the floor and they looked terrible as you can imagine (it was freezing).

However I got a tripod for christmas and have finally gone out this last week to try and improve on my last poor efforts, and here they are.

Greenodd Light Trail by John Marrs, on Flickr

A590 Light Trail #2 by John Marrs, on Flickr

A590 Light Trail by John Marrs, on Flickr

Thanks for looking. If anybody could give me advice that would be great.

I know the bottom two pictures are really boring but I just wanted to try the technique and the light had gone.

First one is really nice. The 'stacked' trails are a bit different from the norm. Someone will be along soon to suggest a little more light in the sky would have been nice.... ;)

The others lack a focal point IMHO. Trails seem to look so much better when you can see where they are going (or coming from!).

EDIT....
.................just need to get there earlier

Matt
MWHCVT

Haha..... told you so! Matt just beat me to posting!

Last edited:
They have come out really well I really love that first one (y) and it looks like from the second two you've nailed the technique just need to get there earlier

Matt
MWHCVT

Thanks for your comment!

Yep the other two were done to really try and get the technique right and get some decent trails.

Been reading your guide over and over really helps! (y)

First one is really nice. The 'stacked' trails are a bit different from the norm. Someone will be along soon to suggest a little more light in the sky would have been nice.... ;)

The others lack a focal point IMHO. Trails seem to look so much better when you can see where they are going (or coming from!).

Yep definetly will be going back to both locations abit earlier in the evening.

The first one is actually a single shot, however it was a lorry with lots of red lights on the side of it, really like how it turned out :)

Thanks for looking.

Thanks for your comment!

Yep the other two were done to really try and get the technique right and get some decent trails.

Been reading your guide over and over really helps! (y)

No worries and I'm pleased you've found it useful (y)

4737carlin said:
That lorry that went past in the first shot is great!! got lucky there, plenty of red lights :)

Good stuff, its great when you first get a tripod

Yep definitely got lucky with that one!

Yeah it's great take it with me every time I go out with the camera. Really looking forward to doing more light trails and star trails.

Back