1st attempt long exposure at night

Name
Adam
Edit My Images
Yes
He Everyone, bought a polarizing filter yesterday and attempted my first ever landscape shot, exposure was 30seconds,

Let me know what you think or how i could bring more colour out of the sky?
Thanks

Adam

landscape1.jpg
[/IMG]

Looks underexposed to me. The church looks like its sides are illuminated so I would expect them, on a correctly exposed shot, to really stand out against the outline of the trees.

do i need a longer shutter speed for that? (mine only goes up to 30)

Longer shutter is only one variable. Changing the ISO and aperture would have an effect. What ISO and Aperture was this shot at?

do i need a longer shutter speed for that? (mine only goes up to 30)

It should also have Bulb, that will allow you to do any length of expose though to do it you will need a trigger (y)

Matt

exif shows

f20
30 secs
iso100

Shot in Av

By shooting in Aperture priority but right at the limits (needing 30 secs) it's underexposed. Try at f14 and it should come out better or alternatively shoot in Tv

Last edited:
There are three ways to increase exposure, if your camera has it, choose Bulb for shutter speed so the shutter stays open until you release the shutter button (you will need a shutter release cable), increase the ISO - could create unwanted noise, open aperture to widest possible f stop, f5.6 or higher.

exif shows

f20
30 secs
iso100

Shot in Av

Just looked that up myself too :bonk:

Now my suggestion would be that you need to drop your aperture to say f/11 if you are going to stay at 30 seconds (y) or up the exposure to around 75-90 seconds (y)

Matt
MWHCVT

There are three ways to increase exposure, if your camera has it, choose Bulb for shutter speed so the shutter stays open until you release the shutter button (you will need a shutter release cable), increase the ISO - could create unwanted noise, open aperture to widest possible f stop, f5.6 or higher.

thankyou , this is only my second day photographing so im pretty clueless!

depicted said:
exif shows

f20
30 secs
iso100

Shot in Av

The aperture is too small and you could change to iso of 400.

thanks for the feedback guys! anything you like about it :/?

I think it could have the makings of a decent shot, interesting sky, good composition.

It's hard to say anything other than that at this point though.

As above, I think it can be a good shot. I'd have maybe moved to the right slightly to get the church in the thirds.

Get you camera into manual and keep scrolling the shutter speed to past 30s. and you'll see BULB.

Make sure your focus is spot on too.

Get out there and improve :)

Back