1st Attempt With Big Stopper

Name
Dougie
Edit My Images
Yes
Just got the Big Stopper and was desperate to try it out with some sunsets! Taken at Longniddry Bay just at the last gasp of sun. ISO 100, f16, 200secs. I find this a fascinating style of photography and have really been inspired by some of the shots seen here on TP.

Monster Sunset...? by Dougie Williams, on Flickr

All critique and tips on these long exposure shots welcome!

Thanks for looking.

Dougie

Last edited:
Looking Good Dougie, even better viewed larger

that's a beauty... it's all fine and dandy using a big stopper to achieve these nice smooth textures, but without composition and thought in the shot they become much of a muchness.

you ticked all the boxes here and increased my envy to go and get one even more (y)

really like that. I had hoped to get some sunsets with mine over the weekend (see my thread) but the weather wasn't kind to me :(

Like the composition of yours and the colours

Superb. Nice simple composition and some great colour.

Excellent first go with the Big Stopper.

simple and effective

That's a great shot, struggling to pinpoint where you've taken that from exactly though? I'm local so just a bit curious is all!

Sure is a marvelous shot , must get myself one of those big stoppers soon.

i like that lots.........

good composition and nice transition from dull dark bluey blacks through to sunny reds and yellows...................

Like the bit of foreground interest there a well.

200 secs - how did you manage not to get the sun, in a long line......... my experience is the closer to the horizon it is, the faster it appears to move......

That's a great shot, struggling to pinpoint where you've taken that from exactly though? I'm local so just a bit curious is all!

Thanks for all the nice comments guys! It was taken from the beach at the car park - I said Aberlady but it's probably Longniddry car park actually - just at 'the bents' before the straight road to Craigielaw golf club?

Cheers

Ahh right, I know exactly where you are, I'm from Longniddry actually! Again, stunning shot, really like it.

I don't think you need any tips. You've got it just about perfect IMHO. I just love the colours in this shot and it immediately made me feel relaxed looking at it. Nice one. (y)(y)

cool and calm :)

That is a great looking photo dougiew,i have had my big stopper for a while now & never used it yet.:)(y)

I really like that, go and blow it up and hang on your wall! As others have said the composition of this shot is spot on, and the foreground interest really makes it.

Well done!

Thanks Andrew! Is that log still in the bay? Amazing bit of luck that being where it was!

Not entirely sure, haven't been down in a wee while - in the middle of exam season right now being a student :thumbsdown: Hopefully it is though, as it's perfect there!

I've always thought theres a great picture in the ribs of the old boat sticking out the sand at the Port Seton end, so think that's my next task down there.

Excellent work. I need to get out to the coast I think.

Andy

thats nice, I dont know why but the log makes me think of the loch ness monster!

Yes I know. I actually called the shot 'Monster Sunset' on my Flickr page!

Superb shot, what time of day was this?

It was about 8:30pm I think?

Just back from 4 days hols so thanks for all the other nice comments guys!

Cheers

Dougie

Back