Beginner 1st attempt with editing picture taken at dusk with Photoshop express, any hints appreciated !

Looks like you missed the focus - I usually try to get the subjects eye sharp as my rule of thumb

I don't think PP will rescue this shot

Les :)
What Lez says.

Photography first, PP later. If the photography fails PP isn’t the answer and I’m frustrated to keep reading that good PP skills can overcome bad photography.

Yep focus on the eye closest to you.

As often is the case on TP nobody has answered the question posed...

I think the processing looks fine for dull light. Suits the subject. Natural, not overdone.

If the image had been sharp - then the question of PP would have been answered :)

As I pointed out " Missed the Focus"

Les

If the image had been sharp - then the question of PP would have been answered :)

As I pointed out " Missed the Focus"

Les
The question could have been answered and the focus issue pointed out. But no.

Reprocessing the hawk picture has done nothing to improve the clearly unrecoverable highlights.

Making a useable exposure is as critical as nailing focus. :p

Not sure of the programme as I use Lightroom and photoshop, on the Hawk, the whites are burning out a bit, can you reduce either the brightness, white level, or possibly dehaze to bring them down a bit, other possiblity is to reduce the exposure then lift the shadows, but again i'm talking settings I could use in lightroom as I do not know what equates over to express.... dropping the exposure or dehaze would also darken the background a tad then i would lighten the shadows, and then up the yellow a bit to give it some punch.
Got to admit, I like the in your face shot.

Last edited:
The top one could do with warming up a little on the colours, agree with what is said about being a little soft, I tend to use single point focus and try to hit it over the eye.

Remember people critise to help not to appear rude, though sometimes that does not work out.

Not sure of the programme as I use Lightroom and photoshop, on the Hawk, the whites are burning out a bit, can you reduce either the brightness, white level, or possibly dehaze to bring them down a bit, other possiblity is to reduce the exposure then lift the shadows, but again i'm talking settings I could use in lightroom as I do not know what equates over to express.... dropping the exposure or dehaze would also darken the background a tad then i would lighten the shadows, and then up the yellow a bit to give it some punch.
Got to admit, I like the in your face shot.

Tony, thanks for the constructive advice, I will have a play in Lightroom with these settings.

PS I know I missed the focus on the first picture, it was a dull rainy day and I was keen to see if I could improve the lack of light and shadows with PP

Download the free version of neat image, it's a cracking programme and along with removing noise it does sharpen as well, see

Back