1st Baby shoot

Both very nice shots Jez but I love the second one.(y)

Reactions: Jez
Love the set up in the first. Baby could have done with being propped up a little more to get the lower half of their face in the shot. Shallow depth of field is so often used with baby shots, but focus is critical and it's not on the eyes from what I can see (on a phone so could be wrong). 90% to being a great shot. Guessing F1.8 ? Try a little narrower.

Second one is good too. Unusual angle as you often just see the baby on the parent's arm without the parent in the shot. It's obviously posed but sort of looks natural, not that people tend to hold their baby like this, but I'm sure you know what I mean. Focus looks slighly of again? The background could do with some tidying up. If you have PS the dodge tool set to highlights at around 6% would clean up the edges and then increase the percentage on the plain areas to make it quicker to use. Doing this you will get a plain white for the background, rather than a creased white sheet draped over a sofa (or something).

Not bad for a landscape 'tog !!

Last edited:
Love the set up in the first. Baby could have done with being propped up a little more to get the lower half of their face in the shot. Shallow depth of field is so often used with baby shots, but focus is critical and it's not on the eyes from what I can see (on a phone so could be wrong). 90% to being a great shot. Guessing F1.8 ? Try a little narrower.

Second one is good too. Unusual angle as you often just see the baby on the parent's arm without the parent in the shot. It's obviously posed but sort of looks natural, not that people tend to hold their baby like this, but I'm sure you know what I mean. Focus looks slighly of again? The background could do with some tidying up. If you have PS the dodge tool set to highlights at around 6% would clean up the edges and then increase the percentage on the plain areas to make it quicker to use. Doing this you will get a plain white for the background, rather than a creased white sheet draped over a sofa (or something).

Not bad for a landscape 'tog !!

Thank you this is great constructive feedback, just what I was after[emoji3]

DSC_4529 by mrcrow_uk, on Flickr

no 1 is a cracker and conveys just what you wanted...the little eskimo look
the arm hanging over suggests too much to drink the night before
:D
cheers
geof

Last edited:
Reactions: Jez
I'll be honest, the whole baby in a bucket with blanket fad is a little lost on me, but it would be good to know what your thought process behind the blankets and hat was?

Were you going for an eskimo look?

Much prefer the style of the second but the angle you've shot from and the creased background need some work.

I'll be honest, the whole baby in a bucket with blanket fad is a little lost on me, but it would be good to know what your thought process behind the blankets and hat was?

Were you going for an eskimo look?

Much prefer the style of the second but the angle you've shot from and the creased background need some work.

Thanks for the response, I'd never done this b4 so did a little research on posing the baby and saw a lot of fur, blankets, hats, scarves and things like that...

As for the "Eskimo look" no it wasn't intentional and didn't really see it until I saw it mentioned in the comments...
My friends baby is called Zachary and his mother is Filipino which I guess is where you're kinda getting the Eskimo thing from

Cheers

Back