1st dance

Mike, please take this in the spirit it's intended as a learning critique.

The bride won't thank you for this shot. Her head positioning has shown up several chins, the light on her hair over the face doesn't help this at all. Both have their eyes closed. The bend in her arm isn't flattering and you have chopped part of the groom's hand off. The single blue dot to the right of the groom is a distraction as are the three above the bride (to a lesser extent). Her elbow is slightly overexposed (flash?) along with a small hot spot on the groom's head. Probably needs a little more breathing room on the left for the veil, you have chopped it off a little awkwardly.

These are just little pointers for things to think about in the future perhaps. The only really detractor in this shot for me is the bride's chin. As a shot, I quite like it, it's all down to personal taste after all. Nice effort.

Mike, please take this in the spirit it's intended as a learning critique.

The bride won't thank you for this shot. Her head positioning has shown up several chins, the light on her hair over the face doesn't help this at all. Both have their eyes closed. The bend in her arm isn't flattering and you have chopped part of the groom's hand off. The single blue dot to the right of the groom is a distraction as are the three above the bride (to a lesser extent). Her elbow is slightly overexposed (flash?) along with a small hot spot on the groom's head. Probably needs a little more breathing room on the left for the veil, you have chopped it off a little awkwardly.

These are just little pointers for things to think about in the future perhaps. The only really detractor in this shot for me is the bride's chin. As a shot, I quite like it, it's all down to personal taste after all. Nice effort.
Hi gremlin no offence taken at all, the points are all valid thanks for your input(y) i will say the bride was slightly taller than the groom so she was looking down a lot lol

Last edited:
I would add step a bit further back too (or zoom a bit less) and bend your knees or go down a bit so you are not photographing them top down.

to me it looks like soft focus i wonder where you had your focus point
with the gear you have that picture should be sharp as a tack

to me it looks like soft focus i wonder where you had your focus point
with the gear you have that picture should be sharp as a tack
why? its called soft focus for a reason to give a soft effect!!!

Well, I guess I'll be the odd man out here. Except for that blue circle, I kind of like this. It shows the bond between them really well.

Chuck

The chin is simple enough to fix with a large brush using liquify and the pucker tool, if you have PS it's a simple fix to tuck it up a bit. I'd have probably stepped over to the left a tad and that little blue light to the right could do with being zapped (I'd probably do them both to simplify) but overall I like the engagement and the expression says it all, which wins over the small gripes.

Well, I guess I'll be the odd man out here. Except for that blue circle, I kind of like this. It shows the bond between them really well.

Chuck
Hi chuck the blue lights were part of the disco set up, after all it was the 1st dance. and they were on a dance floor not making excuses as i quite like them but each to their own ;)

I would add step a bit further back too (or zoom a bit less) and bend your knees or go down a bit so you are not photographing them top down.
i do get what your saying and it does look like i am "shooting down" on them but i,m only 5.8 and the bride and groom are barely inches shorter than me I,ll have to bend my knees next time. :)

i do get what your saying and it does look like i am "shooting down" on them but i,m only 5.8 and the bride and groom are barely inches shorter than me I,ll have to bend my knees next time. :)
I know I go on about it because I have come from many moons ago shooting from waist high or somewhere between there and my neck. You may be at eye level with the subject but you are photographing quite a bit below your/their eyes. Ideally the camera for this shot should have been at their chest height or lower (and yes other things may not have looked right but that would be a different issue). I try to remember to go on my knees too but then I stay there ;)

Back