1st for me - Glossy Ibis

I've still never seen one, didn't realise we had them in this country,and you certainly nailed the pictures, well done (y)

I've still never seen one, didn't realise we had them in this country,and you certainly nailed the pictures, well done (y)

Thanks Ingrid ... not many around, one here in Gloucestershire and another on the Somerset Levels that I know of :)

Nice one. I saw it on the Slimbridge sightings earlier. It'll be gone before I manage to get there..............

I alerted WWT to its presence but it only stayed for around 10 mins ... however it's been around for over a week so still may be a chance to see it :)

Thanks, always nice to get a 'first' :)

I have only ever seen them in S Africa ........ they are supposed to be vagrants in the UK ...... but maybe the weather patterns are making sightings less unusual

did you only see one ........ again I have only seen single birds, (although reading the books it says they hang around in small groups) ....... usually with ducks and small waders, cormorants and the like .......

I have only ever seen them in S Africa ........ they are supposed to be vagrants in the UK ...... but maybe the weather patterns are making sightings less unusual

did you only see one ........ again I have only seen single birds, (although reading the books it says they hang around in small groups) ....... usually with ducks and small waders, cormorants and the like .......

Only the one Bill, there is another on the Somerset Levels (around 70 miles away) but I don't know of any more ... it was in a smallish pool used mainly by Ducks & Geese but has access to a large and varied wetland area.

Only the one Bill, there is another on the Somerset Levels (around 70 miles away) but I don't know of any more ... it was in a smallish pool used mainly by Ducks & Geese but has access to a large and varied wetland area.

strange how it got to the UK .......miles from the Med were I believe they can be seen ....... some will say it must have been blown in ........ but it must have overflown all of France/Spain ....... long way back to Africa for it

but I just read this

http://www.bbrc.org.uk/514

Last edited:
Excellent shot. Wonderful detail .I saw one at Ham Wall a while back, on its own but not as close as this one.

strange how it got to the UK .......miles from the Med were I believe they can be seen ....... some will say it must have been blown in ........ but it must have overflown all of France/Spain ....... long way back to Africa for it

but I just read this

http://www.bbrc.org.uk/514
Interesting link,Bill.We should be seeing more photos of it on here then.

Well spotted Roger.

We had a pair down here in Christchurch that appeared for three years on the trot but not been back for two years now

Stan

Well spotted Roger.

We had a pair down here in Christchurch that appeared for three years on the trot but not been back for two years now

Stan

According to Bill's link it looks like around 20 birds and increasing annually visit, so nice to see one let alone a pair! :)

Back