1st go @ Water Droplets, let me know what you think.

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
No
Hey guys just had my 1st go at water droplets and its quite addictive, love getting it setup, take a few images to make sure its all setup correctly then hammering it until the card is full only looking at the result once on the PC. You get a right little buz when you get a good one!! :D

First up heres a few of my setup which is setup in the spare room. I started by hanging a sandwich bag off a lamp but it was dripping all over the show so nipped out and got a hozelock tap which means i can control the output rate anlong with some aquarium pump tubing shoved into a plastic bottle.
To get the bottle higher so the water flowed i ended up usuing a shelf from my bedroom and attaching it to the wall.
The only thing i need to change is the tray which is currently a roasting tray! Problem is theres a little film of grease onto of the water.

a300ee4d.jpg

9dd4cdc4.jpg

Anyway to the actual water drop photos. Please let me know what you think and how i can improve them. :)

IMG_0153.jpg

IMG_0072-1.jpg

IMG_0102.jpg

IMG_0132.jpg

Awesome!! I am really liking these..and you say your first attempt?? Fabulous first go! I would be well proud! But then I am a total beginner!

Awesome!! I am really liking these..and you say your first attempt?? Fabulous first go! I would be well proud! But then I am a total beginner!

Yeah well my first proper go, Had a go yesterday using a sandwich bag to drop the water but the results were too inconsistent and i ended up just making a mess!! :LOL: So i nipped out and bought a hozelock tap and tubing which is much easier to refill and control!

Its getting quite addictive, as i was out i also picked up some coloured card of various colours, so got to work my way though them all :D

This setup isnt getting taken down for a while!!! :naughty:

Fantastic

What camera lens, lighting etc are you using?

Im using a 400D with a 430EX II balanced on a loo roll to the right of the tray bouncing it off the wall behind.

As for the lens i started off using my Sigma 18-70mm macro but ended up too close to the water so after a couple of drops the front of the lens was covered! Im now using my Canon 55-250 alot further back so its no way near the water! :)

Im now experimenting with different coloured cards under the water and bouncing the flash of at the back along with different White balances to see what gives the most pleasing result.

Oh settings on the camera are

Manual
ISO 100
f16
200th second
Flash is just a case of taking an image and adjusting it accordingly

Last edited:
Manual
ISO 100
f16
200th second
Flash is just a case of taking an image and adjusting it accordingly

I like those settings ;)

Nice one! Fantastic first attempts :D I use a baking tray too... but give it a wash first :LOL:

I like those settings ;)

Nice one! Fantastic first attempts :D I use a baking tray too... but give it a wash first :LOL:

Haha that would no nothing! Its years old so has that black crusty layer thats built up over the years!!

I will see what i can find this week, ideally im after a glass or plastic tray with a completley flat bottom so i can put different coloured cards underneath with out making a complete and utter mess!!! :D

Haha that would no nothing! Its years old so has that black crusty layer thats built up over the years!!

I will see what i can find this week, ideally im after a glass or plastic tray with a completley flat bottom so i can put different coloured cards underneath with out making a complete and utter mess!!! :D

Depends what you're wanting. If you're wanting a nice opaque surface to the water, having cards underneath won't do anything. But with a higher angle you should be able to see them :)

Back