1st HDR Attempt - Church

Name
Dean
Edit My Images
No
This stuff isn't easy to make look decent! I tried not to overdo the effect, but still I'm not sure...C&C welcome and encouraged.

Click for bigger.

Ooo, yeah, I never even noticed that, Ali. There's so much to be aware off. I think the clouds must have been moving too fast for this kind of shot?

I would also agree with horrocks, and also think the image is a bit dark on the left hand side (on my monitor) with the trees.

I wouldn't worry about it. That's one of the most pleasing HDRs and most natural I'ver ever seen!

I would also agree with horrocks, and also think the image is a bit dark on the left hand side (on my monitor) with the trees.
That's why I tried an HDR on this capture. That tree was always way underexposed. Oh well, lessons learned.

I wouldn't worry about it. That's one of the most pleasing HDRs and most natural I'ver ever seen!
Thank you. At least I'm on the right track in terms of keeping it natural then. :)

Thank you. At least I'm on the right track in terms of keeping it natural then. :)

No, I don't think its overprocessed. Have you tried lifting the tree with mask or selection and levels. Yews tend to be very black when they are black, but there is some detail in there. Is it a RAW file?

The lines in the cloud could be sorted out with some cloning and/or selective blurring.

No, I don't think its overprocessed. Have you tried lifting the tree with mask or selection and levels. Yews tend to be very black when they are black, but there is some detail in there. Is it a RAW file?

The lines in the cloud could be sorted out with some cloning and/or selective blurring.
The original files are RAW, but I exported them from Lightroom as jpegs. I would go and play with them, but I'm bothered by that cloud now so might wait for a less windy day and go back and shoot again. I'd love to uproot that tree and move it 20 yards to the left! I'm also noticing problems with the trees on the right (same as clouds) so a still day is def in order.

Last edited:
HDR is a tough beast to tame, for your first effort I would say you done very well. 5 exposures work best for me -2 -1 0 +1 +2

keep at it

tough shot to crack but a fine effort...

why not rework a single RAW file to 2 or 3 jpegs then you won't get the wind effect in the trees or clouds....

then combine this in photoshop with what you have from the hdr'd file using multiple shots

:)

simples....(coughs)

HDR is a tough beast to tame, for your first effort I would say you done very well. 5 exposures work best for me -2 -1 0 +1 +2

keep at it

Thank you.

tough shot to crack but a fine effort...

why not rework a single RAW file to 2 or 3 jpegs then you won't get the wind effect in the trees or clouds....

then combine this in photoshop with what you have from the hdr'd file using multiple shots

:)

simples....(coughs)

Confused! I was under the impression that reworking a single file isn't the best way to do the job as you'd lose some detail?

Pseudo HDR from a single file has nowhere near the quality of a series of bracketed shots, say -1, 0, +1.
But for a first effort i think there is very little wrong with this shot, apart from the cropping those gravestones.
keep producing work like this and you will do fine.

Best regards Paul

Back