1st lens required for my new to me D200

Name
Jonathan
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All,

Great site, some of you might have seen my 1st thread if so great you pursuaded me to go and get a Nikon D200 which i managed to buy locally from a decent guy on ebay.

Now i need a lens as i bought the body only, Simon the guy i bought the D200 from recommended i get a 18-70 lens to start with so i need some recommendations on what to get/look for and also if anyone knows of anyone selling a decent lens, i don't want to stray to far from the £100 mark as i also need to purchase a memory card/bag/tripod etc etc

Regards

Jonathan

18-70 is a mighty fine lens,be great for you........(y)

Wack: Huh?

Jontymo: The 18-70 is a great starter lens. Then have a look at a 50mm prime (£85 new or £50 if you're patient here).

what other numbers letters etc should i look for, i'm sure i read somewhere the dx is a good lenses?

Sorry if i sound daft but i'm a total newbie!!!

Thanks Jon

The 18-70 is a DX lens, basically DX are Nikons crop sensor lenses, the lower end really, but that particular lens is a stonker considering its a 'cheap' lens relatively speaking. I got one 3 years ago with my D70s and still use it now everytime I am out with the D300, combined with other lenses of course, but as a starter to give you an idea of where you want to go with your next [and no doubt bigger] lens purchase, a very good choice IMO.

The 18-70 is really very good.

Another thought would be to try to find a new Nikkon 18-105 VR cheap. I've seen these go for not much more than a 18-70 DX lately, due to D90 owners selling them from their kits.

You really can't go wrong with an 18-70 DX, you should be able to find one for around £100 easily and it pairs up beautifully with the D200.

Back