1st Real Attempt at Portraiture

I'd say that the focus, exposure and DoF are all good, although there seem to be slight variations in exposure from picture to picture.

I think that what might give rise to some discussion are the posing and composition.

I'd say that the focus, exposure and DoF are all good, although there seem to be slight variations in exposure from picture to picture.

I think that what might give rise to some discussion are the posing and composition.

Hi! thanks for taking the time to reply, Yes your right there will be variations in the editing, As i say i haven't really tried this sort of stuff beforehand so was basically experimenting with settings etc..

3 is my fave like the lighting and DOF. For a 1st attempt if be happy with them :)

I have a lot to learn on portrait work although i do love it, i love 3 it's certainly my favorite closely followed by the next 2 (y)

I don't really know anything about portraiture but my initial thoughts when looking at the set is I like 2,3 and 4 but I find 1 and 5 pretty unflattering, number 1 more so, like I say I don't know anything about it but I think the lighting especially in 1 is causing harsh shadows around the eyes which is the first thing I noticed which obviously isn't ideal, her face also seems under exposed to me in 1

You'll grow to find that the eyes are what makes a great portrait.

With the exception of 3, the eyes are slightly dark.

Composition is good and you have mixed it up a fair bit and the DOF works really well.

I would suggest getting a reflector, doesnt have to be massive but would give a lift to the eye area and then I think you are away.

Thanks for the Critique all, Deleted a couple of the original ones now so sorry for any confusion caused in the comments now lol.. But i have had a bit of a play on the first one again mainly around the eyes but also with a few other bits on photoshop, Does it look any better?

Last edited:
Its certainly brighter, then whole image is brighter and the WB has cooled (would warm up slightly because of woodland though - I like my images blue tinted on the whole but looks unnatural here). I think from here if you reduce exposure a little or up the contrast (might get it) then correct WB its right.

You get the idea though - engagement comes from the eyes. Focus is spot on, to the point you see her contacts.

Its certainly brighter, then whole image is brighter and the WB has cooled (would warm up slightly because of woodland though - I like my images blue tinted on the whole but looks unnatural here). I think from here if you reduce exposure a little or up the contrast (might get it) then correct WB its right.

You get the idea though - engagement comes from the eyes. Focus is spot on, to the point you see her contacts.

Had yet another play lol..

First two - you're using too wide a lens. 50mm at that distance looks horrible.

Back