1st SELF-PORTRAIT with my new Sony AF 50 F1.4 lens

Edit My Images
Yes
Got my new lens today, can't wait to actually get out and use it!

jim-1.jpg

I took several images, chose the best and processed.

It was a pain in the arse. It's not a focal length that you can hold at an arms length, and once set up on tripod, it's impossible to know where you're focusing for a self-timer.

Turns out, it worked quite well and I'm pretty happy with it.

What do you think?

Jim

What a lovely model you have ;) I like it (y)

If I can be reaaaaaaaaaally picky, I would say its a shame you've cut off the very tip of your chin, and that catchlight in your right eye is a bit distracting, otherwise brilliant, very atmospheric :)

Great stuff Jimmeh - eyes are great, although I would be inclined to clone out the catchlight in the white of your right eye. And yes, the cropping at the chin doesn't work - top bit is fine just that bit. Good stuff mate (y)

Ahh yes, I see what you mean about the 'catchlight' (that's a new one too me, ta!) in the right eye. I'll have a look at ammending that tomorrow, thanks!

It is a shame about the bottem of chin, I agree.. As I said, I hate setting self-portraits up, especially on tripods. I couldn't get myself into the posistion I wanted, and yet being able to focus 'where' I wanted on the subject (my face..) this is where a second person comes in handy I guess. But then, is it still called a self-portrait? :p

Hmmm! not allowed to comment on the models are we! :naughty:

I like the toning and I like the crop... though Id have been inclined to snip a tiny, little bit more off the chin, tbh.

I quite like the extra catchlight too... gives some life to the eyes.
If I were being critical, Id say the right eye (our right) could do with being a little sharper.

Looks very emotive, the eyes really grab you. (y)

:thinking:

Two people have commented on 'my model'!? It's a Self-portrait! It's Me! Jimmmmeh! :wacky:

hehe, many thanks though.

I see your point with the right eye (our right...) I thought that the foreheads a bit soft, too. But thats just being picky.

I'll give the above a try tomorrow, :)

If anyone cares to open and edit it, feel free. It'd be interesting to see what others come up with.

That's a good shot. Technically I like it and the comments that have been raised, whilst all valid are not really avoidable when you can't see the shot you're taking.

From an artistic viewpoint, I like it too. It's dramatic and I can see why the girlies are swooning. ;)

Most impressive though is your bravery. There is no way I'd willingly put myself in front of a camera..... or is it more vanity? ;):LOL:

Technically I like it and the comments that have been raised, whilst all valid are not really avoidable when you can't see the shot you're taking.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Most impressive though is your bravery. There is no way I'd willingly put myself in front of a camera..... or is it more vanity? ;):LOL:

Thanks, it really is difficult to find your focusing point. Should be interesting to see what I can produce when I'm actually behind the lens.

Between you and me Dazza, you wouldn't want to see the original ;) As silly as it sounds, I don't like having my photo taken! I can stand behind a tripod, take a douzen shots, cringe at the majority and keep one or two. I just got lucky this time I guess.

Thanks. :)

As silly as it sounds, I don't like having my photo taken!

Yeh yeh mate! I know otherwise... POSER!:p

Good shot though, as I said to you already it's a great shot for handheld at arm's length, and the processing is superb too.
Looking forward to what else is to come, and welcome to the world of the nifty.

Excellent! not easy as you say holding the camera or trying to mount on a tripod.
If I could have taken such a brilliant shot I would only sort out the excess light flare in the right eye on PS.

But hey...........still draws the eye to the middle of the frame. Brilliant!!!!!

Oh yes!!!! That's it! Perfect!

I have to confess, since buying my 50mm F1.4 Nikon, I have not taken it of my D80, I just love it.

:clap::D

Thanks nikoneal.

I'll hopefully have the chance to use the lens over the weekend with a friend, we shall see!

Any other tips? ahh! Bordering, how do people determine what works best? Are there any general rules as such? I guess it's all down to personal preference? :thinking:

Two people have commented on 'my model'!? It's a Self-portrait! It's Me! Jimmmmeh! :wacky:

Its only a joke! Its our way of saying you're hot in a subtle way :LOL:

Now I look again, that shadow cast by your nose is a distraction as well :(

Its only a joke! Its our way of saying you're hot in a subtle way :LOL:

Now I look again, that shadow cast by your nose is a distraction as well :(

:bonk: haha, oh right, okay - thanks! !:)help:)!

You know what, yeah.. I agree. I've never noticed that shadow, until now. Gah! That must be an uneditable area too!?

Most of it's been said, but it's very good for a self portrait and I like the way you've thought about positioning in the frame. :)

Great Portrait, self portraits arent easy to do are they? I would crop out your fringe down to half way down your forehead, though thats your call - good work

I hope you dont mind but I have done some work on this. I did the crop as I suggested earlier, but I have also dodged and burned a lot, burned your eyelashes, brows, and stubble dodged ( midtone) the whites of your eyes, colour balance midtones magenta, selctive colour on the black background to make it blacker, and a channel mixer mono conversion, with 3 percent gaussian grain.

jim-1.jpg

Looking forward to seeing some more examples with this lens. I have the old Minolta AF50mm F1.7 which is pretty good considering it was so cheap off ebay, but I'm planning on giving my A100 to me gf when I upgrade to the A200 and wanted to give her a fast lens with it, so I was either going to buy another 2nd Minolta or a new one of these, so would be very interested on your thoughts and experiences with it.

wow!

that's pretty amazing Emma, some serious processing gone into that. You're right too, the crop on the forehead works a treat. Personally, I'm not fond of my new look. I look dark and sinister.. :puke: To some, it might work? For me, :thumbsdown:

but, :clap:

haha, I love these emoticons.

TalkPhotography is a goood place to be. (y)

Bubo, i'm not the most technical chap when it comes to photography.. all I can say really, is that this is a superb lens. So far, i'm very happy with it.

for another example shot see HERE. More too follow..

Back