1st shots with the Olympus 8mm F2.8 fisheye lens

Name
Peter
Edit My Images
Yes
Managed to get hold of the Olympus 8mm F2.8 fisheye lens and these are the 1st shots processed with Kodak Elitechrome 200 slide film.

The last is my favourite.

20120526001_image.jpg

20120526009_image.jpg

20120526015_image.jpg

Thanks for looking

Have to agree. Laying on your back in a wood suits the fisheye so well (y)

Thanks Steve.

This lens certainly gives you a different perspective on everything, and will admit to being trigger happy on the 1st try out. Hope the set shows just how much it bends straight lines.

Love them. Great effect.

well - I suppose that a lens like this is always going to be a little bit of a "marmite" effect. Personally, it's just too much, but of the three shots you've posted up, I think that it suits the first and third subject matter better.

The first one really shows the chromatic aberation on the outer edges of the shot, but with such an extreme lens, It's unsurprising. I do like the subject, and the colours work well. It also appears a touch sharper than the others - though this may well be partly due to the small image sizes posted.

Second shot is just a little "too busy" for me - just too many twigs and branches to get my head around and to un-pick the lens distortion from.

Third one is probably the best subject matter to illustrate the effect of the three chosen, though I'd have been inclined to have had the thickest tree-trunk at the bottom of frame rather than the top - as it is, it kind of breaks the area where you "expect" to see the sky - the upper half of the frame - in two, and draws your eye into the darkness. At the bottom of frame, it'd "point up" into the shot... and yes - i did stand in front of my monitor, with my head inverted, looking at the screen to work this out :LOL:

Thanks for your feedback Mark and a shame that the effect is too much for you personally.

On the 3rd you made me do the same thing once you mentioned it! Next time I will have to move the tree .... lol

The third one is almost a cliché of circular fisheye shots, though for good reason...

The first one really shows the chromatic aberation on the outer edges of the shot, but with such an extreme lens, It's unsurprising. I do like the subject, and the colours work well.

Tempted to say the first is my favourite of the three. The CA doesn't bother me - indeed it rather adds to the character of the image, which, along with the rich blues and greens, with a dash of purple from the flowers, then reminds me of a glass paperweight (one of those big, expensive ones, possibly French).

:cool:

I like the first one best too, and the third one is much improved with the rotation IMO.

Heather

Back