1st Time

lee

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

Here goes, first ever pictures published for your review.

Hope you like them, and it would be good to get your thoughts as I've only had a camera a few months and really starting to get hooked and need to learn how to use it outside of auto (no smiley for embarresed) :)

Leonie1.jpg

Leonie2.jpg

Leonie3.jpg

LOL. Join the club. I'm still mostly on Auto too. :D

Pretty good close up shots. :) Pity the first one isn't focused on the face (or eyes). I like the second shot best though. Very playful. :)

What camera you got?

Phew, I'm not the only one on auto.

Yeah the 1st would have been better if focused on the face but I still liked the shot thats why I put it on.

Have a Nikon D50.

Thanks for your comments.

Cheers Lee

Nice shots (y)
Like the composition of the 1st one best, just a pity its not a bit sharper :)

First one for me too, love the composition.
May be an idea to apply a very light gaussian blur to the hair so as its not so sharply in focus though (may bring the face out a little more too).
Really nice series of images - the first & second belong together.
Looking forward to more (y) .

Yup first shot is good and the 2nd is pretty cool too, nice crops on both of them. :)

#1 and #2. very good!

the beauty of Digital is that you can experiment, so take it out of auto, find somthing to take a thousand shots of, get the manual, and have a play!

no embarresed smilie on the first page, no need to be embarresed!

Hi there
If there may add my 2p worth
Shots are very nice and even if you missed focus on the critical spot that is how we learn.
My only criticism would be your rather flat grey tones BUT THIS IS NOT THE ORIGINAL PRINT so I will not be overly harsh on you.
Did you capture these in B&W or did you convert them from colour?
What software did you use (if you converted from colour)?:thinking:

Cheers

Nothing to be embarresed about there sir!

The crops on the first two work really well. they could just do with a sharpen in your editing software. Either that or if you don't want to a lot of processing work then put the camera's sharpening on autmatic too.

Nice shots there. I'm still learning to use manual mode, and although this is what I use predominantly, I still have 'lazy days' where I stick to Auto as it's less hassle and I don't have to think about it. As Matty rightly said, you have nothing to lose with experimenting, so give it a go ;)

Hi,

Thanks for all the comments and advice, will play around with the first shot and see if I can bring the focus on the face a little more.

Anton, your right they were colour originally, but looked far better b&w, and converted using photoshop cs.

Cheers Lee

I really like the composition of the first shot too, if the eyes were just a tad sharper, it would be great.
Im a noob with a DSLR too and the best advice Id give as a fellow noob, is what has already been suggested.... get out of Auto mode!
It confused the hell out me at first but now I actually feel as if Im starting to get to grips with it.
Ill snap on auto with my Canon G5 but I almost feel as if Im committing a sin to even consider it on my DSLR. :LOL:

only auto too, not had the time nor inclination yet to read/absorb the manual much and still loving just finding something I fancy and just aiming at them hahahaha

I like them esp 1 and 2

Looks like you've got a good subject there for a start :)

Can't really add anything else to what others have said really, but do try the different modes out, experiment and makes mistakes because it's the best way to learn! Look forward to the next batch!

Hi Lee
What method did you use to convert to B&W?
Don't mean to nit pick or pull you apart-far from it:)
I have simply learned from many years of conventional B&W darkroom experience how flat tones can almost ruin an otherwise beautiful image:thinking:
One of my mentors always used to keep telling me that"this is a black and white darkroom,not black and grey,not white and grey....":nono:
Well that was 1991 and I still hear it today and the thought has served me well!!
Keep experimenting and have LOTS of fun doing it!!

Cheers
Anton

lee said:
Phew, I'm not the only one on auto.

Yeah the 1st would have been better if focused on the face but I still liked the shot thats why I put it on.

Have a Nikon D50.

Thanks for your comments.

Cheers Lee

I have only had my D50 about 3 months. I bought the D50 Digital field guide from amazon and it has been very useful. More friendly than the manual and designed NOT to have to read the whole thing. Useful to dip in and out of. It has weaned me off manual with varying degrees of sucess! :bang:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0471787469/103-1147408-7804612?v=glance&n=283155

Regards,

BobR

Hi Anton,

I used the desaturate tool (I'm guessing this may not be the best method to change to B&W :thinking: from your comments)

Unfortunatley I'm new to photshop as well as photography, its a big learning curve but I'm enjoying it.

Think I will have to get the manual BobR recommended, (thanks Bob) or do a course, because although the magazine subscriptions are good I need more basic knowledge which I can build on. It will also help me get the shot right before editing.

Thanks again Lee

I really like these, they are cheeky shots with you using your imagination to frame them...as for auto mode well, it took me ages to get out of it, I then progressed to the 'P' (programmes) mode and that works out the aperture for you and you can adjust the shutter speed (I think)...now I mainly work in the 'A' mode as it gives you the greatest flexibility...just don't worry about trying out the different settings on you lovely new camera, that's the beauty of digital after all! ;)

the crops of the first 2 are fantastic, it's nice to see you're not frightened of close cropping. and the expression in the eyes of the third is brilliant :)

Hi I like #1 best for comp and general aesthetics.

As far as B&W processing is concerned there are MANY ways to do it and if you have CS you can experiment easily without destroying the original.

If using a simple desaturation layer, try adding other layers between with extreme curves/levels/sharpness etc. You will be amazed what can be achieved.

I am too lazy to look but there are older threads here with lots of top tips on processing B&W images.

Look forward to seeing more (y)

Hi

following a review of Bachs tutorial I had another go with the first picture

Leonie_Mono1.jpg

I added a photo filter and played around with the shadow/highlights not sure if I see to much difference but thought I would post it for your thoughts

Cheers

Lee

Hi Ian
When you convert colour to B&W try the following method in channel mixer

Go to IMAGE in the menu,select ADJUSTMENT,then select CHANNEL MIXER.
A small menu will open.Immediately check the MONOCHROME box at the bottom left.
You will see that there are 3 sliders R,G and B.
Start by taking green to 100 and red and blue to 0
This is normally the most pleasing setting.
If you want you can fine-tune a bit
Before clicking OK you can also play with the Constant slider for contrast.
Now there are off course other ways but this is easy and as far as I know non destructive.
I am not big on layers yet but try this and let me know if it works for you.

Cheers

Hi Anton,

Had a go at your method and I could see some difference, but it appears to be the changes I am making using the shadow and highlight which are making the grey tones look flat.

Thanks for the tips though, really appreciated.

Cheers Lee

Back