1st Wedding Shoot

Ross, I started a thread a few days ago titled 'Wedding photography blogs', might be worth taking a look through that and checking out some of the blogs so you can get an idea of what you should be shooting :)

Best of luck,
Ramsey

Edit: Here it is.

WHat are the locations?

If i'm shooting Raw, an ideas on the amount of memory cards i should be taking, size etc?

depends on the size of file your camera produces and how many pictures you intend to take!

The thing that surprised me the most was that you asked what mode you should shoot on.
Now correct me if Im wrong but you should how how to handle your D3.
Also D3 doesnt have a auto mode either.

I know........i chose the wrong choice of words, meant if i should use aperture mode etc..etc

Most of the time I use aperture priority - for most sports I use manual - select the shutter/aperture I want and put the D3 on auto ISO.

I've done my sisters wedding (2 years ago now) not long after I got my first DSLR, Oly E500), it was because my sister had no money to spend on a pro tog and i had taken a few good pics on my old compact. Same old same old!

Even though it was family it was very stressfull! I was covered in sweat by the end! But she was made up with the pics, got a book printed etc. I see so much I would do differently, but thats to be expected as I hadnt had the E500 for long and I was learning (and still am now).

But...

From that I've done my necies christening and a couple of other bits and have been learning. I did my frst paid job couple of weeks ago (not a lot of money, but to cover the 12 hours to take the pics and process them) for a small wedding and have another on the 30th (they are friends of friends etc),

The folk ask as they know I'm learning and I'll do my best. They save money and I get experiance and each time the price goes up a little!

Like people have said, it's worth reading your camera manual again (I know blokes don't like reading the manual!) just so you can fill in any gaps. Lighting is a right pain in a church, if you dont have a bright lens (f2.8 or wider) then it might be a pain. Maybe a monopod or tripod will help.

Also, your normal non photography person isn't going to be as critical as you are! What they love you might hate!

I hope that makes some kind of sense!

If i'm shooting Raw, an ideas on the amount of memory cards i should be taking, size etc?

I'd take as may as you have, you can never have too many. I use 4gb cards and I can usually get around 160 RAW files per card, so I'd say you could certainly do with 40gb.

I get around 380 images to an 8gig card on my D300 shooting in RAW. I would defo recommend a minimum of 30 gig for your own sake. The more you take, the more likely your are to have a handful of good'ns.

Ross,

Even though it is a low key wedding I would contact the couple and talk through with them what group pictures they want so you have a list, you cant get a picture after the event and dont want to miss any they really want. also you never know there may be some family members who wont have pics taken with others and this will save any awkwardness.

I would also find out the best mans name and when you turn up make yourself known to him, hand him a copy of the list of group photos and ask him to assist in getting people together if needed. He will more than likely know most people there and this saves asking the bride and groom to help get people together, its their day and best man is there to do anyhting to help the day go smoothly!

Really try not to get too nervous about it and take far too many pictures than needed !!

enjoy, good luck and let us know how it goes :)

Oh yeah, got the sb900

DO NOT point it at your subject. a wall, ceiling, reflector.. yes Subject no

remember white balance is different with flash on. make shure you know how to balance fill flash, and what the max shutter speed is with that flash is on your backs

and, on the sb800, i use the 5th battery, and i take about 6 - 9 sets of 5 with me, all fully charged and ready to go. spare batteries for the bodies is a must too + a lens cloth

Nikon D3, D200, 70-200 f2.8 and Nikon Nikkor 24-70mm F2.8

for any candids, you are going to want something longer than that

Know the ISO performance of your camera. What happens when the registrar says "no flash". if you have figured it out before, you are fine, if not, you will be making a blibd decision on the spot

Shame i can't take you all with me!! lol Great advice............thanks so much!!

popcorn.gif

Good luck with it all. (y) Be very interesting to see the pictures. :)

Hi, I recently shot a "wedding" which was actually a renewing of the vows for the Scottish relatives after the couple were really married in Aus.

That aside, the shoot only lasted a few hours from 10 am till 5pm and managed to take over 500 shots.

I would agree with all of the above

Kit-

Ensure you have charged your battery's the night before

Enough memory cards how many shots per card?

I had 4 x 4gb used 2 shooting in raw

Extra body - just in case the other fails- plus you could mount another lens and use for wide angle shots.

Flash - sb800 plus an invaluable lumniquest quick bounce- which helped fill the shots in doors with bounced light as opposed to direct flash.

the usual accessories - blower and lens cloth

Previously I met up with the couple and we drew up a plan or list of shots which they required.

Speak to the minister to ensure you are allowed to take some shots.

Check the location if you can,

Remember you are documenting their day, so there is quite a lot of reportage and scene setting shots.

Hope this helps, besides that have some fun !

cheers

R:clap::clap:

Back