1TB EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE ... £63.61

Good spot, quite tempting! Althought I'm very curious why one of the features it has is a 'keyring attachment'! A 1tb, 1.6kg keyring.......unorthodox I suppose!

Chris

Good spot, quite tempting! Althought I'm very curious why one of the features it has is a 'keyring attachment'! A 1tb, 1.6kg keyring.......unorthodox I suppose!

Chris

I guess it's there to leave your keys near! 1tb of photos would be worth as much as my place! :p

Will collect mine instore tomorrow. Thanks!

definately a bargain but wasnt it one of these Kelack had fail after 3 weeks? However, as a secondary back up, bloody good price.

Don't know about how often they fail but I got one of these for my birthday.

Contains all my pics, Lightroom 2, CS3 Extended and 50gb of music all running on a 4.5 year old laptop (CS3, iTunes and FireFox at the same time) and it works fine for me

Cheers for the heads up, I pick mine up instore tomorrow!

Dave

Check Staples they sell these too (£99)and offer the same price match,110%, now how much of a fight they'll put up is another thing. Staples also had some silver 1TB Iomega @£68 sorry didn't note model etc.

I have the 500gb my book version and in the manual it specifically says it is not a portable hard drive but a desktop hard drive and should not be moved...so I am not sure about the keyring comment

Deffo desktop version!

I have the 500gb version, and it's great for back-up, quiet and switches itself off when you switch your computer off.

Cha-Ching!!! ordered 2 baby! lol ;)
Thanks for the heads up! (y)

I managed to pick one up on Friday. :D So far, I've just repartitioned into two and reformat. It's still empty. ;)

That's a great price, pity I'm skint so I will have to make do with my 500gb drive :(

Just ordered two yesterday and collected them today so no more burning CDs for backup.At the store the reserve and collect section was full of these with peoples names on them

I'd never trust my data to a Western Digital drive.

Bit of a sweeping statement Rikki. Care to expand.

Never had a problem myself. Either at home or at work with WD hard drives.

By the way I picked up 2 of these today in Manchester. They had a few more on the shelves and are expecting a delivery in the near future if anyone is interested.

Thanks for the heads up Hypnotic (y) Much appreciated.

Chris :)

Hmmm......I'm interested to hear Rikki's reply too! :thinking:

I've had a Maxtor drive fail on me........and I'm sure other people have had other manufacturer's drives fail on them too!!! :shrug:

Hmmm......I'm interested to hear Rikki's reply too! :thinking:

I've had a Maxtor drive fail on me........and I'm sure other people have had other manufacturer's drives fail on them too!!! :shrug:

I have had a Seagate fail on me. Having said that I know people that use them all the time and have had no problems.

It's like anything. There are going to be the odd ones that fail now and again.

I've just had one of these WD 500gb hds go belly up on me. Not impressed.

Always had trouble with em, since I started work in the IT sector back in the mid 90's. Seen far too many customers machines going down with dead WD's closely followed by Maxtor.

Not to say they are all crap, just they seem to have the highest failure rate.

Steve Gibson from GRC who produces Spinrite also stated that he wont use WD drives either.

I stick to Seagates now (where possible) and yes they can go down too but not nearly as often.

I thought Maxtor and Seagate were the same company anyway?

Some of these external drives seem to be more prone to power supply failure than drive failure.

Always had trouble with em, since I started work in the IT sector back in the mid 90's. Seen far too many customers machines going down with dead WD's closely followed by Maxtor.

Not to say they are all crap, just they seem to have the highest failure rate.

Steve Gibson from GRC who produces Spinrite also stated that he wont use WD drives either.

I stick to Seagates now (where possible) and yes they can go down too but not nearly as often.

Seagate used to be the one of the worst drives for reliability - they had some major issues in the 90s with drives refusing to start at power up, and last year they shipped a pile of drives that came pre-infected with a virus :shake: (as did maxtor who are owned by Seagate) .Reliability has come a long way since the mid 80's and most people will never see a true dead hard drive - they will see the results of a screwed file system but physical failures are a lot less frequent than they used to be regardless of manufacturer. Soft errors and screwed file systems happen frequently though and you should always ensure you have a backup because you don't know how much you will miss your data until its gone - i recently recovered some photos off a 'Crashed' drive for a couple who's young son had died and all the their photos were on the hard drive of the computer which had stopped working, the recovery software ran for 10 days but luckily most of the photos were recovered.

So whats a very good reliable make then :shrug:

Unfortunately failures happen across all brands to some extent. I'll agree that I tend to avoid WD, but lately I've had a failure with Seagate as well. I've been in the IT game all of life and haven't had a single make failure free (well I think apart from Quantum who I think are history now).

I've got 2 internal PC backups, an external NAS and an offsite internet backup and I still get paranoid.

Last edited:
So whats a very good reliable make then :shrug:

No matter what make you get someone somewhere is going to be unlucky and suffer a failure and that may be you - When ever i need to deploy a backup solution for laptop users i use the maxtor onetouch series and have deployed 4000+ over the last 3 yrs and yes they do fail occasionally (i've had one of mine fail after 3 yrs but the other 9 are fine) but due to the large number deployed you've got to expect some failures and they do come with a 5yr warranty.

I've been in the IT game all of life and haven't had a single make failure free (well I think apart from Quantum who I think are history now).

Many many moons ago i worked as a mainframe engineer where we used to have to fix disk drives by replacing platters and heads etc and we always fitted Hitachi drives to high availability systems as they were the most reliable but very very expensive, with a PC drive i don't think there's much in it, just treat any drive as though it will fail and back it up.

Seagate used to be the one of the worst drives for reliability - they had some major issues in the 90s with drives refusing to start at power up, and last year they shipped a pile of drives that came pre-infected with a virus :shake: (as did maxtor who are owned by Seagate) .Reliability has come a long way since the mid 80's and most people will never see a true dead hard drive - they will see the results of a screwed file system but physical failures are a lot less frequent than they used to be regardless of manufacturer. Soft errors and screwed file systems happen frequently though and you should always ensure you have a backup because you don't know how much you will miss your data until its gone - i recently recovered some photos off a 'Crashed' drive for a couple who's young son had died and all the their photos were on the hard drive of the computer which had stopped working, the recovery software ran for 10 days but luckily most of the photos were recovered.

In the late 90's and early 00's it was IBM and their tragic DeathStar range (GXP's I think) that were the worst which was a turn up for the books as the previous ones had been the best around for speed and reliability. Most of the drive failures Ive seen recently have been the clicking drive type where the actuator/head assembly cant located the correct sector via the servo marks and constantly recalibrates hoping to get somewhere.

Funnily enough Freecom external drives seem to the worst of the bunch just now, seen 2 of them croak, both Samsungs inside.

As I said, only seen one problem Seagate drive and it was a 320gb IDE unit I bought a few years ago from OCuk (who you can read about elsewhere on this forum). It would click every so often and that was enough for me to retire it early. Complete dead drives in my experience have been Maxtors (up to 2005) and WD's (through the years).

Lastly, a New Years handy hint. - If you have an external drive, DONT sit it vertically. One knock and its either on its side or on the floor with a fairly high chance of data damage.

Unfortunately failures happen across all brands to some extent. I'll agree that I tend to avoid WD, but lately I've had a failure with Seagate as well. I've been in the IT game all of life and haven't had a single make failure free (well I think apart from Quantum who I think are history now).

I've got 2 internal PC backups, an external NAS and an offsite internet backup and I still get paranoid.

Ah good old Quantum, I had a few of their Fireball drives and they were quick back in teh day (not so the 5.25" Bigfoots). They got bought by Maxtor I think.

Never had a problem with WD used them for years. And if the drive fails it can easy be set back for replacment to WD.

Anyway. I have just been down to my local, and they are totally sold out, BUT they let me order and pay there and then, so I ordered 3 of them at the sale price and go pick them up next week. Got to be happy with that.

Back in stock again according to the site but not in the any of the Manchester stores near me. I'll think I'll try the same option as wcavanagh and get them ordered at the store in Stockport. (y)

Back in stock again according to the site but not in the any of the Manchester stores near me. I'll think I'll try the same option as wcavanagh and get them ordered at the store in Stockport. (y)

Thjey were showing as out of stock when I got mine but had some on the shelves at the Trafford Park / Urmston branch. Also they were expecting a delivery this week at Rochdale.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Back