2 Lenses needed?

Edit My Images
Yes
I want to add to my kit to do 2 totally different things.

1. I want a lens for portrait work or similar still image - high qual!
2. I want a lens for motorsport/fast moving high quality images?

Price is a factor, but I would really like the quality too....

Cheers
Andy

canon 50mm for the portrait, you will be paying dosh for motorsport lens though mate

Those two can overlap quite nicely!
If you get something like one of the 70-200L variants then you'll have a fast, great IQ, long lens.
If you need more reach you could then get a teleconverter.

I use primes for portraiture (50mm / 85mm / 135mm) - but the 70-200 range is also great for it.

Joe T said:
the 50mm is slightly short for portraits.

Agreed - even on a crop body I find 50mm a bit short most of the time. I prefer the 85mm or 135mm

I love the 60mm macro for portrait work, it's sharp as a sharp thing.

maybe not the 50 for portraits then eh!

I use the short end of my 70-300mm for portrait stuff at speedway....then get caught out when I have to go straight to shots with several people in! At the moment all my action shots are with the 70-300mm, but fingers crossed by next season I'll have the 70-200mm f2.8L IS to play with! :D I've thought long and hard about

I use the short end of my 70-300mm for portrait stuff at speedway....then get caught out when I have to go straight to shots with several people in! At the moment all my action shots are with the 70-300mm, but fingers crossed by next season I'll have the 70-200mm f2.8L IS to play with! :D I've thought long and hard about the decision on the lens upgrade, and am in no doubt that that lens will do what I need it to. Team it up with a TC (or even a pair of them!) and I'll have a superb lens for seal-watching on holiday next year!

Some form of 70-200mm has to be the way to go for motorsport, in my view. The Canon version with the IS if you can stretch to it, the Sigma equivalent if not.

I do portrait work and with my 10D I loved the 50mm 1.4, but with my 5D, the 85mm is perfecto! I've just added 100mm macro, still testing it out though.
Motorsports...no clue.

Back