2 night 1 day visit to London Natural History Museum.

Name
Neil
Edit My Images
Yes
Bucket list item. I fancy a visit to the Natural History Museum (South Kensington) From up north (Manchester). I just want an easy drive down, a two night stay in a north London hotel with parking that's outside the congestion charge area and near to an underground station into London. Can any of you Southerners recommend a good area at all? Thanks.

Just thought
Have a look at midweek city breaks,you could get one by rail to save the hassel of driving.

Have a look at the Premier Inn locations , I have stayed in several this year , Most have a Brewers Fair restaurant in the same location for meals , They have car parking on site.

When we went to London we stayed here...

I thought it was nice, clean and cheap and it's just a few minutes walk from Kensington Gardens and Hyde Park.

We got the train down and got a taxi to the hotel from outside the station.

We went because Mrs WW had to go to the Thai embassy and it was just a couple of doors down from the hotel :D

Last edited:
Holiday Inn Express, Finchley Road.
Just across from Finchley Road Station, nice area and hotel was clean.
Did a first aid course there and all seemed fine, parking available too.

if you realy want to take your car into central london then just do it and pay the charges.
expect £40/day parking and if applicable congestion charge.
i work the odd day in central london in petty france and it is doable just silly expensive
but for me its all on expenses

The NHM is quite an experience. Also there is the Science Museum and the V&A on the same 'campus'. If you are committing to expense, go see them too.

The OP was looking for parking and hotel outside the congestion zone so the Finchley Rd suggestion is a good one. If I remember rightly the hotel is very close to the tube/rail stations.
Alternatively, maybe one of the Heathrow airports that include parking, with shuttle to the terminal then Piccadilly line tube, which would take you very close to the NHM I think.

if you realy want to take your car into central london then just do it and pay the charges.
expect £40/day parking and if applicable congestion charge.
i work the odd day in central london in petty france and it is doable just silly expensive
but for me its all on expenses
Absolutely no intentions of driving into the city. Hotel on the outskirts, tube in, tube out and away.

The OP was looking for parking and hotel outside the congestion zone so the Finchley Rd suggestion is a good one. If I remember rightly the hotel is very close to the tube/rail stations.
Alternatively, maybe one of the Heathrow airports that include parking, with shuttle to the terminal then Piccadilly line tube, which would take you very close to the NHM I think.
It is close to the tube and quite handily situated for anyone coming down from the North.
The station is part of a shopping centre which has places to eat and a Sainsburys.

The last time we went to the NHM, which was well before the lockdowns, it was incredibly busy. A long queue just to get in and then each room was very crowded so we left early.

Hopefully things have improved as it is very good. Perhaps do some research on the best dates/times to visit. Others have covered hotels and tubes.

The last time we went to the NHM, which was well before the lockdowns, it was incredibly busy. A long queue just to get in and then each room was very crowded so we left early.

Hopefully things have improved as it is very good. Perhaps do some research on the best dates/times to visit. Others have covered hotels and tubes.
It is by ticket times only now, so hopefully that might help a bit.

There was another one up near Swiss Cottage that I went on a course to.
I'll try and see if I can find it again.

Ah! Hang on a minute, the one I've been referring to was called Holiday Inn Express Swiss Cottage on Finchley Road. Have l been looking at the wrong one?
No that was the original one I mentioned
I have been there more than once, think the other was a Best Western.

Docklands is also outside the congestion charge zone, Pl.enty of choice there and good transport links.

Last edited:
If the NHM is on your bucket list, then go the whole hog and stay the night there, instead of in a hotel. :cool:

I worked for the company that installed and fabricated a lot of the suspended walkway in the dinosaur section (assuming it's still there). Three of us worked there overnight and it was a spooky place to be in. It was made worse by the dinosaur exhibition on display at the time, constantly playing roaring sounds which echoed all around the place.

Last edited:
Back