2 shots from the plane at night

Edit My Images
No
AKA, must get window seat next time!!

From my flight home yesterday evening from a friends wedding in France. Two rows of three on a packed plane, my friend and I had the seats by the window with a random on the aisle seat, otherwise my friend and I would have switched places. We were about 10 mins from landing so I grabbed the camera from under my seat and tried to take some shots leaning across my friend. Had to take them without looking through the viewfinder or bracing properly as the window was set back a little and my friend was in the way lol. Not great shots but nice to have a record of the view. Next time I'm on a night flight I'm going to make sure I have that window seat so I can try and get some usable shots!

lights2.jpg

lights1.jpg

Both ISO 25600, 52mm, and one at 1/25 and one at 1/40

Last edited:
Window seats great for view but on long haul bit of a pain if you need go to loo spec if peeps sleeping lol :) nice pics though

Whoa, those are unusual shots! Okay, shots taken from planes are two-a-penny (but still always lovely to look at) but this is the first time I've actually seen night time pictures taken from such a location.
And that in my books makes those two pictures very special indeed. And it looks technically good too, you must have excellent ISO settings on your camera (would be hard to take long exposures due to the movement of the plane.
Great effort, Richard.

EDIT: Just admired your pictures again and noticed the text underneath them . . . 256000 ISO settings!! I didn't know such settings do exist, and with hardly any noise!

Last edited:
Excellent results. I'm always trying to take pics from plane windows and know how difficult it is - day and night. I've always maxed out at 1600 ISO even though my 5D will go to 3200, so my night shots have never been much good. I've recently been trying out a bellows type lens hood by Lee for shots through windows, in an attempt to cut out reflections and increase contrast, and it's showing some promise. You don't seem to have that problem in these shots though.

These are cool. Iv only been on a night time flight once but that was way before I was into photography.

Back