2 shots one film & 1 Digital.

Edit My Images
Yes
I have already uploaded the film version of this image in the show us your filmshots thread..but as I said in that thread, at the same time I took the same picture in digital.. having looked at them I can honestly say I prefer film (y) . A couple of people have already looked at them and both prefered the film against the digital..

The digital looks a bit sharper than the film, but to be honest they both looked a lot sharper before I uploaded them to flickr anyway and if I wanted I could sharpen the film shot if needed..but IMO the film shot looks to show more/nicer detail and tones....what do you think..

Thanks for looking, Steve.

Last edited:
Both are great, but I like the film one the best, looks to have more detail and nicer range of tones. That said I am an unashamed 'Emulsion Head' so probably a bit biased.

By the way, did I also say lovely camera!

You're right the digi version does look a little sharper and for me the film version is a little too contrasty but overall the tones are great. What film did you use?

Are the exposures identical? I prefer the film too but I'm wondering if the digital shot is slightly underexposed in comparison.

Are the exposures identical? I prefer the film too but I'm wondering if the digital shot is slightly underexposed in comparison.

The film was metered at 100 asa the digi shot was metered at 200 iso as that is the lowest native iso on my d300s...but the studio lights were not changed and they were both metered and shot one after another..

It does look like the digital image has less light and that is possible as every camera gives slightly different results. Give it half a stop and then post up and see what people say. :)

Also ought to point out, its not film....its a scan of film, a digital photograph of a film frame.

Not wanting to be a party pooper but, already just saying we are comparing a digital photo with a digital photo of a film photo undermines any conclusions we draw from the results.

For the fun of it, or interest, I'm gonna say I can hardly decipher any subtle nuances in either picture from such a contrasty limited tone image.

*poops party....soooooorrry*

:)

Also ought to point out, its not film....its a scan of film, a digital photograph of a film frame.

Not wanting to be a party pooper but, already just saying we are comparing a digital photo with a digital photo of a film photo undermines any conclusions we draw from the results.

For the fun of it, or interest, I'm gonna say I can hardly decipher any subtle nuances in either picture from such a contrasty limited tone image.

So actually what you mean is that nothing in F&C is film, as it has to be digitalised to put it on here, so it is pointless putting things in "show us yer film shots" as they are not film. :shrug:

FFS get a life and stop being so pedantic.

Just my opinion of course

Heather

Jeez... I only put this up for a bit of fun, as when I took the picture with my film camera to put in show us your film shots ( which after reading the above, I must now say is not worth doing if my intentions are to put the images on a forum) I happened to take a shot with my D300 to see what the difference was..

Party pooper is not a word I would use...

So actually what you mean is that nothing in F&C is film, as it has to be digitalised to put it on here, so it is pointless putting things in "show us yer film shots" as they are not film. :shrug:

FFS get a life and stop being so pedantic.

Just my opinion of course

Heather

Jeez... I only put this up for a bit of fun, as when I took the picture with my film camera to put in show us your film shots ( which after reading the above, I must now say is not worth doing if my intentions are to put the images on a forum) I happened to take a shot with my D300 to see what the difference was..

Party pooper is not a word I would use...

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

i agree

As it has been pointed out to me in above posts that the images that I had uploaded ( just for a bit of fun ) were scans of a film shot therefor digital, so I figured it's probably not worth uploading scanned analogue images to a film section of a website ,and is best to just keep the negs prints that I develop for my own viewing at home..

Now why cant I find that w#anker smiley when I need it......

Last edited:
Steve-B said:

Well that was uncalled for :thumbsdown:

Can we all stop with this pettiness please? It's really starting to get my goat.

We are all entitled to our own opinions and there is no need to bicker over it, this is the only place on the forums where there are no arguments and i would quite like it to stay that way

Last edited:
As it has been pointed out to me in above posts that the images that I had uploaded ( just for a bit of fun ) were scans of a film shot therefor digital, so I figured it's probably not worth uploading scanned analogue images to a film section of a website ,and is best to just keep the negs prints that I develop for my own viewing at home..

if it was only for a bit of fun why did you spit the dummy when someone makes an observation which is correct ? the fact is they are both digital images .

if it was only for a bit of fun why did you spit the dummy when someone makes an observation which is correct ? the fact is they are both digital images .

As you have mentioned it was for a bit of fun, and correctly it was pointed out that it has been digitalised as it has been scanned..but all I did was to snap of a shot with my digital camera at the same time and only later uploaded it for a comparison...to me it now takes the edge off uploading my film shots into the show us your film shots..unless the pedantic amongst you could get the thread maybe changed to "show us your digitalised film shots ;) "

As for spitting the dummy as you have put it, it would take a lot more than a couple of cyber sh#t stirers to cause that to happen...( as believe it or not, I have a real life to get on with away from the keyboard )

Have a pleasant evening and enjoy your forum surfing :)... Steve.

Can yous all calm the heck down with the rudeness please. Us oldies are just doing our thing, no dig was intended I'm sure .. just a useful observation by Joxby nowt more, hence the sorry right?

bloody hell , what are you doing in here , did you get lost on the way to the nudes ? :LOL: how the deevil are you ?

Can yous all calm the heck down with the rudeness please. Us oldies are just doing our thing, no dig was intended I'm sure .. just a useful observation by Joxby nowt more, hence the sorry right?

What a coincidence.

Welcome to F&C.

Nice of you to drop in for the first time since before the middle of June, which is as far back as I can see, and make such an unbiased contribution.

bloody hell , what are you doing in here

Durrrrrr, it's not rocket science when your mates tell you they have stirred something up again.

Now if you could all get back under your bridges and let F&C get back to the nice laid back place it was,and not your own personal chat place.

Heather

Last edited:
i believe forbiddenbiker has as much right to be in here as anyone else ,and if you're inferring that i asked him to come in here and make his comments , then you are wrong , and it was you that started swearing earlier ,miss holier than thou

What a coincidence.

Welcome to F&C.

Nice of you to drop in for the first time since before the middle of June, which is as far back as I can see, and make such an unbiased contribution.

Wow!

:LOL:

Can I just say. There is no plot, I was just surprised at the rudeness. ;) that's it no more, no less. I have better things to be getting on with. (actually I don't but shuuush)

Last edited:
Oh for f's sake.... can we not just stop bickering, it's not the wedding section.

Joxby did not say anything too sacrilegious just a little forthright and technically he is correct. However, if we all stop posting our shots because he sometimes gets a bit pedantic the world will be a much worse place.

Anyway if you would all follow me over to the 'show us your FILM shots area I shall be uploading a couple of digitised film shots which may or may not be square.....:D

Andy

just as long as they weren't taken with that nikon f3 digital Andy !

Oh for f's sake.... can we not just stop bickering, it's not the wedding section.

Joxby did not say anything too sacrilegious just a little forthright and technically he is correct. However, if we all stop posting our shots because he sometimes gets a bit pedantic the world will be a much worse place.

Anyway if you would all follow me over to the 'show us your FILM shots area I shall be uploading a couple of digitised film shots which may or may not be square.....:D

Andy

+1 Joxby does have a point but everyone needs to calm down and stop bickering

Wow!

:LOL:

Can I just say. There is no plot, I was just surprised at the rudeness. ;) that's it no more, no less. I have better things to be getting on with. (actually I don't but shuuush)

Congratulations on the super fast editing of this post.

Possibly a wise move as you were asking for a response from the mods.

Heather

Hi Andy, Ive been worse, hows you. :D just stumbled in through New Discussions, didn't even know where I was to be honest... :cautious: :eek:

That's how we all end up in here and we can never find our way out :LOL:

lol

I thought I covered both eventualities ok

yawl need to lighten up a bit, all eleventybillion photos I've posted here are scans, I don't have anything against scans apart from the obvious and it is laughable to suggest I advocate sharing film images by........I don't even know......prints...:shrug:

If the thread is a serious comparison then it is flawed

If the thread is for fun, I can't make a judgement even for fun because the pics posted are particularly unsuitable, in fact they couldn't be more unsuitable imo.

that is the fullest extent of my post, no hidden agendas, no pooping for the sake of it, just a simple observation, nothing to live or die by.

Mmm, not sure there are too many 'pretty, pretty boys' in here though.

Andysnap said:
Mmm, not sure there are too many 'pretty, pretty boys' in here though.

Speak for yourself Honky Tonk...

Do you think we may have drifted of the subject a tad?

I would be interested to know the general thoughts on something pertinent here... at which point does an image stop being digital? Or stop being analogue? Once printed any image becomes analogue by definition... whereas film (in the sense of the "discussion here) begins with analogue and stays analogue, digital starts out digital and has the possibility to become analogue. Just because a representation of the film image is digitised and posted it does not stop the original film from being analogue - it just creates a reference digital version of it that is easier displayed in modern terms.

I certainly see where Joxers is coming from and agree completely - attempting to compare a digital image and a scanned film image is pointless - even comparing a film image in your hand and viewing the same image scanned on a monitor is pointless as the two mediums are so different.

This is a film section, sharing film images digitally is what happens - there is no other way short of a magazine maybe, but then the images would be digitised and printed anyway so at least here there's only the one iteration :D

Back