2 week old 5D Mark II has dust and hair in viewfinder :-(

Edit My Images
No
I've had my 5D Mark II only 2 weeks and I've already got dust and a small strand of hair in my focus screen. The sensor is pristine though.

I heard it's a problem with the old 5D too. Can Canon do a cleaning service if I send it off every now and then? Just more to rest my mind really.

Canon will do one free under warranty I believe.

Sadly it's just one of those things and you're right to say that both 5d mk1 and mk2 suffer from it :(

My 1Ds came out of the box with a hair on the sensor. I know it wasn't one of mine.

Good good, I'll only send it back to Canon every now and then. When I do, how long does it take to get it back?

Whats the procedure? Do I have to register my camera with Canon first?

Well I had my 30D for almost 3 years and I've never had any dust on my viewfinder, the sensor yes but not the viewfinder.

its easy enough to clean
just pop the screen out and wipe it
mine have had crud on them just about since day one
it doesnt affect anything only dust on the sensor will be a problem to the final image

Good good, I'll only send it back to Canon every now and then. When I do, how long does it take to get it back?

Whats the procedure? Do I have to register my camera with Canon first?

Well I had my 30D for almost 3 years and I've never had any dust on my viewfinder, the sensor yes but not the viewfinder.

Surely you can't keep sending it in every 2 weeks or even every month? My 450D died about a month ago, sent it in for repair under warranty, took 8 days to get back to me. Much faster than the sigma lens I sent in at the same time, mind, but I doubt it'll get much quicker than that. Their courier (UPS) for me took 2 days, and RMSD on my end 1 day, so at the very least it’s a 4 day turnaround time...

clean your house, then clean your eye peice lol

I've had my 5D Mark II only 2 weeks and I've already got dust and a small strand of hair in my focus screen. The sensor is pristine though.

I heard it's a problem with the old 5D too. Can Canon do a cleaning service if I send it off every now and then? Just more to rest my mind really.

clean your house, then clean your eye peice lol

More likely change the way he changes lenses?

What is the best method? I'm always a little paranoid when changing lenses. I've tried with the body facing downwards but it's just too awkward so I have the body facing upwards but realise I have to be quick/careful this way.

Body facing downwards is the best method, I've changed the lens on my D40 & D300 plenty of times & using the downward facing method, i've still no dust of what i can see on either of the sensor's.

switch the camera off before you do anything
the static charge seems to be the main problem
certainly on full frame sensors
i try not to change lenses as much as possible by having 3 bodies and keeping the standard stuff fitted to save changes in the field

I tend to switch the camera off when changing flash/lenses just because of breaking electrical connections.

Maybe I'll try the body down method again

Back