2008 - The year so far since moving to Nikon.

Edit My Images
Yes
Well, as you may have read, my D3 was back with Nikon for a period of about 5 weeks due to water ingression. However, the camera is back and firing on all cylinders and I still absolutely love this camera and what it can achieve. It has changed the way I shoot, made me a better photographer and there is never a job that the D3 cannot cope with. All images on a selection of glass from 50mm, 85mm, 24-70, 17-55, 70-200, 300 F/2.8 through to 400mm F/2.8.

For me, as a long time Canon user before I moved to Nikon, I find the white balance on the money everytime and the autofocus is something else. I also like the auto ISO, especially if I am working at the football where sun and shade can play havoc with metering and the subsequent shutter speed.

Overall, delighted with the camera. I have just been putting together my stock of the year in prep for my 2008 photo book, which I get printed every six months as a record of the year. Highlights this year so far have the been my use of CLS with the first two images shown looking stunning in print for an ad campaign. The other thing that gave me a buzz was meeting Beijing Olympic archer Larry Godfrey and shooting him before he flew to China. He mailed me from China this week to again say thanks for the shots and his partner even dropped by to say how motivated and 'pro' the shots made him look. In fact he has taken a CD to China so he can fire himself up in his quest for gold. Well, if he gets it then great, objective achieved.

Overall, my favourite shots of the year have been the cycle stuff of which the first three here were all shot on a D2h.

Justdoit1of1.jpg

test-1.jpg

BristolBikefest2008-AshtonCourt8-2.jpg

BristolBikefest2008-AshtonCourt8-1.jpg

BristolBikefest2008-AshtonCourt8thJ.jpg

UN_PT_0114.jpg

UN_PT_21.jpg

UN_PT_73.jpg

UN_PT_BathHalfMarathon0831.jpg

BristolCityvsWolverhamptonWanderers.jpg

Superb.....Your move to Nikon has definitely paid dividends.

Its great to see that you've come through that 'Dark' phase you were in some months ago. Your hard work and dedication have paid off.

Your pictures, as usual, are an inspiration and also an indicator of what can be achieved. (y)

Wow....I can honestly say that I never used to like all your photos before you made the move...I love and have enjoyed looking at every single one of those shots. I especially like the swimming shot! Beautiful photos :clap:

I like the swimming shot too! Partly because you never see many on here.

Well done! (y)

Hey really nice stuff Pete, agree with the cycling I would drop them from a portfolio they are not as good as the rest but the MTB ones are way better. The AMFIT shot with the sunset, I would have set the light from the right and not left mate. The low light rugby is quality.

Iain

These are all absolutely flawless, very envious of your talent.

G.

I really like the cycling shots and commented on the 4th photo down on the first viewing, made Barry look at it in fact, the dust lifting from the track as they cycle along makes it a great shot!

Thanks all.

The cycle shots cause discussion, mainly due to the fact they were shot on a D2h, which despite being a great camera is getting a little long in the tooth. I was crying out for my D3 that day as they detail via resolution the camera attains is something else. As such, they may have looked a touch better.

As ever, I love em however and certainly shots I am proud of as I had severe sun stroke that day as was a nine hour session in blazing sun !

Thanks again.

Brilliant Pete! Such rounded tones - they never used to be there:shrug: Good work..... :clap:

May I ask what Canon camera body you had your most recent experience with?

I am a D3 user as well and from the few images I have taken (a few thousand) I love every single one of them!

Your shots are AMAZING as well.

Super set there. The head & shoulders shot of the archer is the pick of the bunch. Or it could be that boxer... :)

That camera isn't too shabby. I'd be interested to see the same shot taken with a similar lens on a 1Dmk3 just to see what the difference is.

Stunning set Pete!

I particularly like the portraits, the boxer and the last picture are my favourites.

As ever inspirational work, great variety of subjects. Great lighting and composition.

We don't see you so much in these parts anymore, so it is always a pleasure when you post like this!

(y)

May I ask what Canon camera body you had your most recent experience with?

I am a D3 user as well and from the few images I have taken (a few thousand) I love every single one of them!

Your shots are AMAZING as well.

I used and loved Canon Mark II n cameras though the images lacked punch. When the Mark III came out, I upgraded. The Digic III gave the images the required punch, but the focus was very Oliver Reed and all over the place. So, Canon were despatched from whence they came and me and Nikon have been dating ever since.

Super set there. The head & shoulders shot of the archer is the pick of the bunch. Or it could be that boxer... :)

That camera isn't too shabby. I'd be interested to see the same shot taken with a similar lens on a 1Dmk3 just to see what the difference is.

Yeah, me too being honest. As I have maintained, the Mark III is something else when on song and given good glass.

Nice to see all of these again.

I have just been putting together my stock of the year in prep for my 2008 photo book, which I get printed every six months as a record of the year.

Do you use one of the online photobooks? If so do you mind telling which one?

Loved all of them Pete.

TBH I think the change has done you good. Whether that is due to the D3 being the best camera on the planet or not is, to me, irrelevant. You've got your mojo back and that's all that matters.

Long may it continue. :)

Back