2011 Volkswagen polo

I haven't taken any car shots myself but must say that I like the effects you have created here. I especially like number three, maybe the angle or the fact it seems to fill the frame a little more. The jury is out on the driver though :)

really loving the car pictures I am seeing on here, one day I might even try it myself...need a clean car first...lol

Thank you to all that commented

The rig is a 4 meter custom self constructed boom using roll wrapped carbon tubing and aluminium. Along with 2 Hague suction mounts, a magic arm and 3 manfrotto super clamps.

Thank you to all that commented

The rig is a 4 meter custom self constructed boom using roll wrapped carbon tubing and aluminium. Along with 2 Hague suction mounts, a magic arm and 3 manfrotto super clamps.
Is the carbon wrapped around an aluminium pole?

Would be really interested in the weight and cost of your boom.

Oh and nice pics btw. :)

No it's roll wrapped carbon tubing. With aluminium to join 2 sections together.

It's incredibly light 4 meters of carbon fibre was lighter than 1 meter of aluminium when we got it. Absolutely no weight in it at all.

What are the streaks from and how are they streaky in #1 which is a static shot?

Graham,

With your rig, I hate to say it, but unless you struggle to carry a rig on a train and travel a lot, you've wasted your money. I could have done exactly the same shots with my rig boom which cost £30 for 4.5m and weighs quite a lot. Typical case of spending money on equipment when it really isn't necessary.

'rant' over, time for some crit:
1. has potential if you were to light the bonnet and roof. car looks a bit lost without those lit up. Also, the car is lit from too low IMO.

2. the lighting on the side of the car is great, the back not so much. I would have liked the car to be turning the other way so that I could see the alloy.

3. most standard rig shot ever? at least you've done something interesting/amusing :)

HTH

Last edited:
GFWilliams, I understand the spending money when not necessary but the booms cost £15 all together for a crate of beer in thanks to a friend who works in the composite shop at an F1 team who made up 2 lengths of carbon fibre tubing.

Yeah now I have looked at it I would have to agree with you on the second shot would defiantly look better with the alloy on show.

Graham

GFWilliams, I understand the spending money when not necessary but the booms cost £15 all together for a crate of beer in thanks to a friend who works in the composite shop at an F1 team who made up 2 lengths of carbon fibre tubing.

Yeah now I have looked at it I would have to agree with you on the second shot would defiantly look better with the alloy on show.

Graham

Well in that case, does he want to build me one?! :D

You might even be able to make a profit off me ;)
pm me the specs if you can sort it (y)

Ah cool couldn't figure out how you made the background instead of the car move... that would have been a neat trick. The light rig gives a cool effect.

Fantastic shots, will have to build my own rig some day if i get the money. Really love the first shot

New shoot to add in.

This was taken at dusk and was loosing the light really quickly so just managed to get this before we left.

Let me know what you think C+C welcome!

2011 VW Polo by Graham.Williams, on Flickr

I'm sure you've noticed but the numberplate light is really distracting in this.

The shot does have some real potential though. Boost the contrast, warm it up a tad and maybe drop in a new sky and it'd be the best shot I'd seen of a polo (y)

Rig at dusk the the moon

On the Wrong Side Of The Road by Graham.Williams, on Flickr

Two things about this one which would really help if you were to do
1. Turn on the headlights. It looks to be getting dark so you'd have your headlights on in that situation when driving.
2. clone out the rig reflection in the headlights (would have been canceled out by 1 if you did it)

HTH :)

Cheers!

Yeah i noticed after i uploaded the image, really annoyed me but didnt have to re-edit.

I have used the lights in the past but this car has day time running light so if the ignitions on there on :/ really frustrating to work with.

Back