2014-2015 Slimming Thread

Really don't like bananas either oops

I was contemplating a nutribullet type smoothie maker but with a lot of fruit and veg that I'm.unable to eat, it wouldn't be very sustainable which is why the shakes are convenient for me.

Are there any brands to avoid? Holland & Barrett recommend USN but I'm always wary of shops recommending something as the cynic in me wonders whether they have to push certain types?

They're pretty much all as good/bad as each other. Any differences will be small and pretty irrelevant. Buy what you prefer and let any sales spiel about this amino acid which can boost fat burning, or this enzyme which will make you lose weight, go in one ear and out the other.

Haha, thanks. I haven't heard that yet. All she said was she had used it and it worked for her. Cheers for the advice :)

I know! If only it was magic. I'm managing well with the low cal lunch and dinner and 2 healthy snacks in between but it's just breakfast I'm struggling with.

January 98kg - last night 82kg !!!!!
Haven't changed my diet; I'd already been trying to eat more healthily the previous 12 months and it didn't make a huge difference as I got cravings and would binge food.

It's all down to a cave photography project I started in January.
The project was much tougher than I expected and needed a lot of trips to get my equipment and technique sorted out; I've been underground at least once a week and the project is still incomplete!
They reckon an hours caving is significantly tougher than an hour in the gym and exercises every muscle group. Typical caving trip is 3 to 5 hours.
I'm way fitter than I was and feel great!
The only potential down-side of caving is the social side; it's superb but I'm drinking a lot more than I used to.

Exercise with a healthy diet - seems to be working for me!

@Phil Young sorry, another quick question. For my size etc blah blah, for weight loss, it's been suggested that I stick to no more than 1,540 calories (which is my MBR). Yesterday for example, I struggled to hit 900.

This was yesterday's food diary:

7.30am Breakfast - HL Shake & a green tea
10.30am Mid Morning - 100g of roast turkey breast chunks
1pm Lunchtime - HL Shake
5pm Late afternoon - 100g flame grilled chicken chunks & green tea
8pm Dinner - 2 basa fillets, 80g (cooked weight) of wholewheat spaghetti, spinach and carrots

plus about 1.5 litres of water

but this meant I went over the limit for protein but way under the calorie, fat and carb limit. Is this the right approach? Obviously being way under the fat limit is but what about the rest?

Don't worry about "hitting the target calories". You NEED for arguments sake, 2200kcal per day and your bidy WILL produce the energy needed for any lacking in the diet (good thing for weight loss). If you hit 900 a day that's fine - you will function just fine. Eat a variety of foods and keep it frequent but low calorie like tou are doing.

Cool, much appreciated. MyFitnessPal doesn't like you not hitting the calorie target haha. It won't let me complete logging my daily diary.

I have a better variety of snacks today. Hard boiled egg and then seafood sticks this afternoon. Where I was going wrong was only eating when I was really, really hungry. I'm never hungry in the morning so didn't bother with breakfast then would run out and get a crappy sandwich from Sainsburys at lunch then would be ravenous by dinnertime. This usually meant piling on the pasta etc to make up for it. Bad meal management to be honest. I totally need to change my habits. I am finding it hard to eat often though. I have a reminder on my phone and work calendar saying "eat"!

Lose the carbs.....for four days a week....and eat sensibly the rest.....I find that the best for me...simple rule of thumb....Could a cave man (when they were around) get this meal.....if no then change it to comply to the caveman menu....It really is quite easy and the flavors are better

Could a caveman phone his mate? No - lose your mobile phone lol... it's not carbs that make you fat, it's any excess calories. Fat, carbs, protein & alcohol can all contribute to weight gain. Eat less than you need and you will shrink ;)

Totally agree...but I find leaving out all processed food and bread, rice and pasta during the week keeps more on an even keel.....just need to give up the Guinness at the weekend...:D

I cut out a sandwich a day for my piece at work. Down to 12 stone :) from 12 st 10 lb 2 months ago.
I only take five sandwiches now.

No way am I cutting out carbs lol. Cutting down and compromising with wholewheat but I really don't want to cut things out as it will be a hell of a lot harder to maintain the loss. Plus the minute I start cutting stuff out, my mentality dips and I don't enjoy it. If I don't enjoy it, I won't stick with it. Kelly logic at work there haha

It was either a sandwich or a glass of red wine. The sandwich lost.

Lost 4% body fat this week. This is sticking to a 60% protein, 25% carbs and 15% fat proportional meal plan. My muscle mass and bone mass have increased and my MBR has gone up 50 calories. My measurements however are changing in the places I need them not to haha. Losing bum and thighs and upper arms but nothing at all from my torso. Very annoying as that's where I need it to go most!

I cut out a sandwich a day for my piece at work. Down to 12 stone :) from 12 st 10 lb 2 months ago.
I only take five sandwiches now.

A few years ago when I had a heavy physical job, I used to take 8-10 sarnies to work & have another 4 slices of bread with tea/eve meal. :eek: I was less than 13 stone & quite muscled/toned.

Since no longer doing a manual job over the previous 10 years (even not eating anywhere as much as previously) my weight crept up to 16 stone & no longer had defined muscles. :( Age plays a part too. :rolleyes:

I started to have issues, which turned out to be gall-stones, :mad: so cut down on butter/spread, almost stopped eating bacon, pork crackling, pastry, cheese etc, and started using `sweeteners` instead of sugar.

Absolutely no calorie counting for me.
I've not felt like I'm missing out & rarely miss anything at all.

Over the last 2+ years I've probably lost (on average) about 1lb per month & on a good day am now a tutter under 14 stone & feel fitter. :cool:

My son is going on a 4000 calorie diet...
He needs to bulk out his muscle for Jujitsu and MMA.
Any idea how difficult it is to have a diet like that with low fat? :)
Sure, he could go for two MacDonalds, but lean chicken and fish?
We may need another fridge, and a box for his veg.

It's been interesting listening to everyone,I'm 51 and weigh 15st 12lb I am in a physical job so need energy but have a very sweet tooth and have problems feeling full without over eating but strangely am very fussy in what I eat

Could a caveman phone his mate? No - lose your mobile phone lol... it's not carbs that make you fat, it's any excess calories. Fat, carbs, protein & alcohol can all contribute to weight gain. Eat less than you need and you will shrink ;)
I eat excess calories, over 2500 a day most days, and I'm losing weight!

I'm keeping active, using cycling as a way to burn the calories. At the moment I'm cycling around 300 miles per week and in the past week have ridden two 100 mile sportives. Not too bad considering I only took up cycling last September and I'm loving it. Weight holding at around 81kg for now +/- a kilo. I seem to be the only one who still thinks I have weight to lose. I suppose it's nice that others think otherwise, but I want to get more competitive on the bike so a bit more weight loss is still the goal.

By the way, Strava underestimates calories burned. My Polar watch is better and gave me 5200 calories and 5000 calories respectively for these two rides.

2015-07-20%25252020.04.14.jpg
2015-07-20%25252016.38.55.jpg

Had an eye exam on Friday, due to my previous diabetes diagnosis, 15 months ago, and another clean bill of health. So, all in all, still feeling great about the new me.

Last edited:
Pretty proud of my weight loss this year, i'll admit, i am only 19, so its probably easier for me to gain and loose weight. Then again, at 19, you can pretty much do what you want to your body because its no where near as fragile as you old folk :p

But from February, to now, i've lost 3 stone!!! I didn't really do that much, got a treadmill and ran on that for 20min 3 times a week, replaced breakfast and dinner with Cereal bars, and ate whatever for dinner. Plus drank 1l of water during working hours. Go for a p*** every 5 min, but its worked! Feel loads better, and it means i get to replace my clothes! The X100 i have currently was a 'well-done' gift to myself for getting my BMI to 'Healthy' . Got another 1 stone to loose though before i'm happy :)

Well done Simon!

Back