Monthly 2014 ETC : Brian of Bozeat

I like the timelapse, the driving bit is ace, can't really tell what's happening in the shop.
Fair comment mate. I have been doing all by flying vids as timelapses and its amazing how much difference frame rates etc make, not something I've had to think about before...

Looking good Brian.

I like the leading line trees, they seem to have a little something over your black and whites, I don't know what though. They are just more visually appealing to me.

You've done a nice job with your selective colour without over doing it.

Ah, needs must. How long before you become an official pilot?

Chests...

I need 4 more hours, plus a test flight and a solo flight. The problem now - because of all the crops in the ground - is finding landing sights, It will probably mean that I have to wait until the end of July or August to "check out". In the meantime I can get beck to doing some photography! Yay!

Here's one I took from my balloon of my friend flying hers (quite pleased because I descended just to get the right angle for the pic).

Alina by Brian of Bozeat, on Flickr

Beee-youuuuu-tiful mate.

without the balloon that would be pretty special, but having that in it really makes it.

Now, get :snaphappy:.... :)

On the back of the time lapse stuff I tried earlier in the year, I decided to have another go whilst I was crewing for a friend at a balloon meet this weekend. I know this is far from being brilliant but I think it shows promise so I've decided to share it. Hope you like it!

Creative self portrait, I'm going to ask for some help here, you see I did try this 2 weeks ago as a test and I wasn't sure I liked it. That's me in white at the end of the string, any opinions?

KAP by Brian of Bozeat, on Flickr

Mornin Mr B....

Nice catch on the Robin, shame there isnt a bit more light on it, but a special moment captured tehre,

Time laspe, (the first section) is awesome.... the clouds rolling over the scene, the static car and the action unfolding work really well. The balloon really stands up quick once its filled, or are there a couple of missing frames. :naughty:.

The creative SP, fantastic shadows and lines in there, in terms of is it creative... yep, is it a SP... maybe. Deep down I'm feeling a bit let down though, you still have the Jaffa cake to live up to.

Oh, and whens the big 5-0? Not your wedding too (on your birthday) is it?

Thanks Graham, there's no missing frames in the time lapse, I was shooting a frame every 5 seconds and those little hoppers really do come up quickly once the heat is in them (in fact poor Adrian burnt a hole in the side the next day - gutted)

Regarding the SP, I'm thinking that it's "me in my environment" (That's Bozeat playing field right there) but I am aware that it could be anyone down there!
NO way I have the energy for another "greed" shot LOL

The time lapse is pretty good Brian. Maybe a quicker frame rate to remove some of the joltyness?

Thanks David, that's worth a try, I will go for shorter gaps between the shots next time, it's really hard to gauge how frequent to shoot and how many frames per second to display, if in the finished thing the action goes too fast or slow it looks bad. At least I have this one to base my next attempt on.

I've also been recommended to use a slower shutter speed and less sharpening to help smooth it.

Brian, I really liked the time lapse, I bet those one man balloons are good fun!

Congrats Mr and Mrs "of_Bozeat". :), s'pose it has to be Happy Birthday for then too.

Got the camera high in the air POV just right there.

Thanks guys. Yes Graham, married on the 14th (my 50th Birthday) with Kathy's 50th Birthday on Tuesday the 17th. A new era!

Just an iphone shot, meant to be a bit tongue in cheek more than anything else. :)

Congratulations to you both :D

June: Panoramic Landscape/Urban/Architecture [please click through they much better full size on flickr]

Sky Scraper:
A vertical pano! The building dissapears into the sky, it took several shots to get the exposure how I wanted it on this one.

Sky scraper
by Brian of Bozeat, on Flickr

At the Tate:
A panorama of the sloping entrance to the tate. I like how the pespective has made Kathie (on the balcony) so much larger than the lillipution people below, it's like an expression of superiority. "I am above you". Also the distortion makes it look like she is facing the bridge on the left.

At the Tate by Brian of Bozeat, on Flickr

Panoramic view from the millenium bridge:
With the sun in the overcast sky behind me and the broken cloud in front how could I resist the oppertunity to sweep the skyline view from st Pauls to the Tate. Zoom in to find tower bridge!

Panoramic view from the millenium bridge by Brian of Bozeat, on Flickr

Last edited:
OK, I can't help but share this. It's just some more time lapse of the balloons but I used 2 cameras and edited it together like a bit of a film. There's lots I could have done better (critique welcome) and I am sure I will look back and cringe at some point in the future but for today I am quite proud of it!

So... I didn't manage to get anything posted for the story board. To be honest I just didn't feel the enthusiasm to story board anything that happened this month!

I did manage a joiner that I really like and some more time lapses, and of course loads of areal shots :)

Here's the joiner, taken at the Great Orme in Llandudno:

View attachment 17114

And here's one of the time Lapses:

Cheers, B.

Sounds very much the same as me Brian. I don't think any of us really felt the love for the storyboard. :(

Really like the joiner, i need to have another go at that technique and i LOVE your timelapse, it's really really good!

Sounds very much the same as me Brian. I don't think any of us really felt the love for the storyboard. :(

Really like the joiner, i need to have another go at that technique and i LOVE your timelapse, it's really really good!

Thanks for the feedback. I'm really glad this project has given me the inspiration to learn something about both of these techniques. I really enjoy doing them and I'm even starting to feel comfortable about showing the results to people!

Let's hope There's more good ones to come. I did shoot several sets of pics for the story board but I thought all of my ideas were rubbish and I just couldn't force myself to publish anything in the end.

Back