2015 - My year in pictures

Name
Jonny
Edit My Images
No
As it's cold and wet and the motorsport is done for the year now I'll try and get in here first again with my yearly round-up :D

Hopefully I've developed a bit this year... it's been a busy one rounding out with an epic event at the ROC in London.

Comments and Criticism most welcome as always, big thanks to everyone who has helped me this year, especially @andrewc and @Fozzy19, it's been awesome!

1. I kicked off the year at Donnington for the BSB... while it's probably down to my lack of track knowledge (first time shooting here), it has to go down as the worst circuit for spectator tog access that i've been to.
Don't know if this guy knew what was in store for him :D
Josh BROOKES - Milwaukee Yamaha by Jonny Henchman, on Flickr

2. Next up was the WEC at Silverstone, it's right up there with the best events of the year - really looking forward to it being even bigger in 2016
Here's the Labre Competition Corvette being lapped, shot through the stands... <--- I've been milking this shot all year, so this is probably the last time :D
The Spirit of Le Mans by Jonny Henchman, on Flickr

3. Another shot from the WEC, some crappy weather made for better images, surprisingly think I only had 4 wet days all year
Cutting Through Spray by Jonny Henchman, on Flickr

4. Moving on to the BritCar 24 hr (Silverstone again)<------ I'll never understand why they always seem to run this race when it's freezing cold :confused: Historically October/November this year April
Here's Jonny Adam, he took the honours in a slightly one sided affair
Jonny Adam by Jonny Henchman, on Flickr

5. Next up the BSB again, Oulton Park this time
A blurry effort showing James Ellison at speed
James Ellison by Jonny Henchman, on Flickr

6. Back to Silverstone for the Blancpain
Here's Jan Mardenborough back on track after a really emotionally tough start to year
3 by Jonny Henchman, on Flickr

7. Yep Silverstone again for the British GTs
Andrew HOWARD / Jonny ADAM - Beechdean AMR by Jonny Henchman, on Flickr

8. look more Silverstone - MSVR - First accredited shoot of the year and with said accreditation comes the rain
Here's a shot of a damp McLaren in the GT CUP - really quite a sketchy place to shoot from too :confused:
Mclaren 650s by Jonny Henchman, on Flickr

9. Another one from the MSVR - I'm not kidding, F1 can forget wider tyres, engine parity and in-season testing, just give me a press pass and I'll bring the rain :confused:
6 by Jonny Henchman, on Flickr

10. Ok so I don't get around much - Time for the British GP at yeah you know...
Here's the champ at 1/15th <---- Another shot that I've milked to death
Lewis Hamilton by Jonny Henchman, on Flickr

11. Some GP2 action from the same event - Here's Alex Lynn
Alex Lynn - DAMS by Jonny Henchman, on Flickr

12. Time for the Classic - yea I live next door...
Silverstone Classic 2015 by Jonny Henchman, on Flickr

13. Now the Moto GP - maybe I'm actually chained to this place
Jorge Lorenzo - Yamaha by Jonny Henchman, on Flickr

14. probably doesn't need a description
Valentino Rossi - Yamaha by Jonny Henchman, on Flickr

15. BTCC - seriously they are going to start charging me council tax
Here's another guy on his way to the championship
Gordon Shedden - 2015 BTCC Champion! by Jonny Henchman, on Flickr

16. Same event - but the Porsche Carrera Cup GB - pushing my panning and filters hard (stacked ND and CPL - no Photoshop!)
Dino Zamparelli - GT Marques by Jonny Henchman, on Flickr

17. Finally OMG I went somewhere else! <--- as it only happened a few weeks ago, here's my most popular shot from the ROC
Daniel Riccardo doing his best impression of a storm trooper (topical huh)
Daniel Ricciardo by Jonny Henchman, on Flickr

Thanks for looking folks, like I say feel free to criticise :)

Outstanding set Jonny, for me not one of them is just so, so there all superb! Let's see what you can do on the other side next year!!!

Outstanding set Jonny, for me not one of them is just so, so there all superb! Let's see what you can do on the other side next year!!!
Thanks again for all your help Paul, I literally wouldn't have had some of these if it wasn't for you... hopefully I'll be able to deliver more next year :D

Amazing set, congratulations on a great year, my favourites are the last two in the set!
Cheers Bazza, much appreciated :)

Great shots!!!

Just out of interest, what kit did you use for these?

Outstanding consistency and well processed images throughout Jonathan. 16 and 10 jump out at me as some of my preferred images.
Your processing is incredible, i wish I had 1/10 of the prowess in that area,
Excellent panning shots, your technique looks dialled on. On a side note, on 9 there looks like some CA around the front wheel on the left of frame.
Just need to get yourself travelling around to a few other venues, as you'd apply your trade really well to other more photogenic circuits.
Congrats on the ROC accdreditation. Your work deserves to be seen in my book, and I hope you get more success next year

Last edited:
Outstanding set Jonny...there all superb!
I could not put it better- wonderful work throughout. If I had to choose a winner, it would be No. 9, by the thinnest of margins, for the pure drama it captures.

Last edited:
Excellent year up at Northampton for you Johnny, especially as you seemed on a downer a little while back. I hope you can go from strength to strength next year and use a Sat Nav to find your way out of Silverstone :D.

These are superb. I love Moto GP and BSB and im hoping to go to the events next year and take something even half as good and i would be happy

Great photos, it is a pity there is no information under each photo such as camera -lens- shutter speed- aperture- etc. On that basis I can only give the photos 9 out of 10. Help others as you say others have helped you.
Motor racing photos are not my thing but it would be nice just to know the basic settings used

Last edited:
Great shots!!!

Just out of interest, what kit did you use for these?

Thanks very much Ryan, Canon 5D III, 400mm f5,6 and 70-200 f2.8 ii (for all of these at least - full exif on Flickr) :)

Outstanding consistency and well processed images throughout Jonathan. 16 and 10 jump out at me as some of my preferred images.
Your processing is incredible, i wish I had 1/10 of the prowess in that area,
Excellent panning shots, your technique looks dialled on. On a side note, on 9 there looks like some CA around the front wheel on the left of frame.
Just need to get yourself travelling around to a few other venues, as you'd apply your trade really well to other more photogenic circuits.
Congrats on the ROC accdreditation. Your work deserves to be seen in my book, and I hope you get more success next year

Haha thanks Matty, I remember last year you suggested more variety - while i'm not really I delivered that, I did try some new things and gave the 70-200 a lot more outings. Agreed on #9, I pushed the shadows a bit much in a rush to get something up I hadn't posted before :D Yep... sadly you are right, but it is very convenient having a track on your doorstep ;)

I could not put it better- wonderful work throughout. If I had to choose a winner, it would be No. 9, by the thinnest of margins, for the pure drama it captures.

Thanks very much :)

Stunning.

Cheers

Top notch set mate, hard to pic a favorite...

Thanks a lot Suggs

Stunning set Jonathan, not much more I can say really :)

Haha cheers Baz :)

love them , well done sir :clap:

Thanks Barney

Glad to have been a help during the season :)

Not just this season, but since I very first started :D you might not remember but you gave me a whole lot of advice on cameras and a track guide to Snetterton back in 2009... if it wasn't for you pushing me to get a DSLR back then i'd have still been using a bridge camera for god knows how long

Excellent year up at Northampton for you Johnny, especially as you seemed on a downer a little while back. I hope you can go from strength to strength next year and use a Sat Nav to find your way out of Silverstone :D.

Cheers Paul, I really appreciate it. Yea I'll try and get out more.. just need some cash for fuel :D

These are superb. I love Moto GP and BSB and im hoping to go to the events next year and take something even half as good and i would be happy

Cheers Andy, good luck... it's certainly possible :)

Great photos, it is a pity there is no information under each photo such as camera -lens- shutter speed- aperture- etc. On that basis I can only give the photos 9 out of 10. Help others as you say others have helped you.
Motor racing photos are not my thing but it would be nice just to know the basic settings used

Cheers Realspeed, nothing's intentionally hidden - all exif is available on flickr if you just click on the images - you have to do a little work to get the goodies ;) I try and help with advice as much as I can, but I don't feel much more than amateur myself and I don't want to send people down the wrong path :D In any case im thankful you think my images are good enough that I should be marked down for not explaining to beginners how I did it - achievement unlocked 'faking it' ;)

not a petrol head myself, but these made me look twice. some excellent shots third and last for me

I'm not a big fan of motorsport so this isn't my kind of thing but I have to say the photography is absolutely stunning. Amazing work!

Fantastic shots that I could only dream of taking, numbers #2 #10 #16 fans
My 7 year old son want #10 on his bedroom wall!

Another great set. The colours are great in all of them. If I had to pick one it would number 12, it has fantastic tone to it.

not a petrol head myself, but these made me look twice. some excellent shots third and last for me

Cheers Heath, I'm really pleased my shots carry some weight outside the motorsport community :D ...hopefully that means I can deliver some technical ability and interest even when folks aren't too fussed about the subject matter

I'm not a big fan of motorsport so this isn't my kind of thing but I have to say the photography is absolutely stunning. Amazing work!

As above, I really appreciate the positive feedback from people outside the motorsport community... really means a lot that I can produce the odd image that has a degree of wider appeal :D

Shot 12 - print on a wall!!!! All amazing though!

Thanks Reinis, always great to hear positive comments from someone who's at the top of their game... I need to try a Rally one day, you consistently inspire me with your work

Fantastic shots that I could only dream of taking, numbers #2 #10 #16 fans
My 7 year old son want #10 on his bedroom wall!

Thanks very much Sean, really glad they deliver some impact... #10 goes pretty big :D

Great set..7 is one of the best shots I've seen this year.

Thanks Paul, that is really high praise :) Shot from the viewing platform at the wing, its open at a lot of events and is probably the only shot available up there bar a pit portrait

Fantastic stuff….the Hamilton pan is my favourite - you might think you've milked it, but it deserves it!

Hahaha thanks mate, I dunno I'm sure a few people are sick of it now :D

Another great set. The colours are great in all of them. If I had to pick one it would number 12, it has fantastic tone to it.

Thanks very much, glad you like them :)

Thanks everyone for looking and commenting, I cant stress enough how valuable this community has been in helping me get as far as I have. There's so many exceptional photographers in here that you cant help but be inspired, thank you again for being so generous with your time in offering advice and help through the years. I can safely say that without this place and the help of the motorsport community I'd never have had the opportunities I've been lucky enough to get.

So thanks folks :notworthy: see you in 2016 for year #7 with a DSLR (y)

12 is the stand out shot for me from this set; great colours, very atmospheric, just a shame it's on the slant a bit

Cheers Martin, thanks for the feedback

A year of quality shot Jonathan the Ricardo shot is my favorite here and the Aston pan at Silverstone a close second

Thanks Gaza, it's interesting to see how peoples favourites differ :)

A great seasons work Jonny, my favourites from these are #2, #10 & #13 but I would be chuffed with any of these.

Nice, nice, flipping nice. That last one is great.

Back