2016 - Year in Review

Name
Nicholas
Edit My Images
No
Finally 2016's motorsport year has come to an end and all the photos are processed. Time to take a look back at the year and see what I got!

First some numbers:

Including three private shoots I have done 33 events over 32 weekends this year. Thats 1 World Championship, 6 European Championships, 9 British Championships and 9 stand alone events. I also shot in 2 countries, three if you include the Peoples Republic of Yorkshire.
That also includes the Autosport Show, 2 Car shows, 2 Car Club meets and a wedding anniversary. Somehow I also found time to take up golf again.
Chasing the right shot has taken me 7327 miles meaning approximately £1742 in fuel. Plus I was a passenger in the two car club meets so they are not included but probably add another 250 miles-ish.
The archive has swelled by 13,923 keepers over the year. Assuming 20% crap shots and 50% duplicates, (my approximate ratio for the past few events) that means 69,615 Exposures this year.
Most importantly I estimate around 200 cups of crap Circuit coffee drunk in the pursuit of photographic perfection.

Upgraded Gear:

The only gear still in my kit bag which started the year with me is:

1 Monopod
2 Flashguns.
24-105mm f4 L IS USM

New acquisitions this year:

2 used bodies.
5 Lenses
2 more flashguns.
Tripod
1 Peli case
2 soft camera bags
5 rain covers.
1 very p***ed off accountant.

Time for some photos:

1) The MGJ Engineering Brands Hatch Stages Rally
was the first rally I have ever attended, let alone shot. I was in public areas at all rallies this year and while its not a particular challenge on a stage rally, at a circuit rally it can really restrict you when you are used to being trackside.

MGJStages_BrandsHatch_16-10832_original
by Nicholas Smith, on Flickr

2) MSA British Rally Championship - Mid Wales Stages Rally. Only my third rally and second stages rally but I really enjoyed this one, even if I did slide to the bottom of Sweet Lamb Bowl on my backside after falling over at the top!

Rally_MSABRCMidWales_2016-11760_original

3) Britcar Dunlop Endurance Championship took me back into my comfort zone with their first round on the National circuit at Silverstone. Looking back, I'm not as pleased with my action shots as I was when I took them but my static and detail work was pretty good. Here is an Aston Martin.

BritcarEndurance_Silverstone_16-21554_original

4) The Touring Car Endurance Championship from Creventic is classed as a European Championship although its also part of the bigger worldwide championship. This was taken at the 24H Silverstone: The European Touring Car Edition.

H24HS_SilverstoneGP-14216_original

5) The BRDC British Formula 3 Championship supported the British GT Championship all year. This was taken at Brands Hatch.

BRDCF3-16_BrandsHatch-25585_original

6) Jonny Adam claimed his second consecutive British GT Championship title this year. Here he is at the start of the season.

BGT16_BrandsHatch-25722_original

7) Back to Britcar and to Snetterton this time. Again, my pitlane work was better than my action shots so I have opted for this shot of the Neil Garner Motorsport Mosler being re-fueled in the Endurance race.

BDES_Snetterton-29330_original

8) Blancpain GT Series Endurance Championship went to Silverstone again. As a singe round accreditation I couldn't shoot pit lane during the race so I grabbed this shot of pit stop practice in the evening after Qualifying.

BGTSEC_Silverstone-12511_original

9) Also from the Blancpain event, I think this could well be my shot of the year. Ollie Morely with his daughter after getting on the podium in the Endurance race.

BGTSEC_Silverstone-13491_original

10) Horsepower at the Hall - Gearheads at the Ground. I did this event twice this year but I'm only showing one photo here. A detail shot of a VX220 Turbo.

HatHGatG_May16-23490_original

11) I adore shooting at Oulton Park, even if the conditions were much more clement than I am used to for British GT. Here is the only Maserati entered to the championship for the full season, though we had a few at Silverstone and Spa.

BGT_OultonPark-25994_original

12) Britcar went to Thruxton for the first time in years and the support package was a historic race. Here are some MGB GT V8s for you.

MTCSCC_Thruxton-28880_original

13) Off to Spa-Francorchamps for my only international jaunt this year. This is BRDC British Formula 3 past the old pits.

BRDCF3_Spa-Francorchamps-29944_original

14) While this shot is one of the GT4 Aston Martins in the second class of the British GT Championship at the new pit in.

BGT_Spa-Francorchamps-13443_original

15) My double header weekend this year was a GT love fest. This is GT Cup at Oulton Park on the Saturday, I went to the GT Open at Silverstone on the Sunday but don't have a shot in here for you.

GTCup_OultonPark-24997_original

16) Another stand out shot of the year for me, though it didn't even make the shortlist for Sports POTY. (I'm not bitter, honest!) Taken at the SIlverstone Classic. This year was my first time at the Classic and I'm definatley going back.

SC2016_Silverstone-29457_original

Only a few more I promise!

17) Britcar again, this time from the International circuit at Silverstone.

BDEC_SilverstoneInt-10368_original

18) Donington Park again hosted the season finale of the British GT Championship, the F3 Championship, the Volkswagens and these, the Protyre Motorsport Ginetta GT5 Challenge.

GGT5C16_DoningtonDecider-21788_original

19) Where this car claimed British GT Championship glory.

BGT_DoningtonDecider-23641_original

20)
My first world championship event was the World Rally Championship - Wales Rally GB. Here is a WRC2 car on SS2 - Sweet Lamb.

WRC_WalesRallyGB-15484_original

21) And a WRC class entry from M-Sport on SS8 - Dyfnant.

WRC_WalesRallyGB-16072_original

22) AND FINALLY! We are done, just this shot from Boxing Day at Mallory Park for the Plum Pudding Races. You may have recently seen it as I put it in the gallery from that event but I think it was my best of the day, especially as I have never shot bikes before on a circuit.

PlumPudding_MalloryPark-21385

Looking forward to next year now. Time for my two and a half week long off season.

Back