2020 MacBook Air 8GB and 256GB - will it run LR Classic with 50mbte files for occasional use

Edit My Images
No
I've just solved my desk top problem by upgrading my iMac from a 2014 model to and 2020 Model - thanks to a purchase off the Forum

I use my current MBP, 2015 model just for occasional use when we are on holiday for a few months a year - it's slow with D850 RAW images but it's been OK for the ones I've taken on holiday

The basic 2020 MB Air with 8GB and 256GB is quite attractive priced now at just under £900 - does anyone have one and is it OK for occasional LR Classic use with "big" RAW files?

it's pretty good at running LR Classic with 8GB and 256GB

no complaints with D850 RAW files - quick enough

It's 100% fine handling the files from my Z7 using LR Classic, so the D850 files should be fine too.

Perhaps not surprisingly, it struggles with the same files in PS once you start adding layers. I just use mine as a travel laptop so I've gotten around this by reducing the size of the Z7 files (by half) as soon as I import into PS.

I think I read elsewhere that the same spec in the Pro doesn't have the issue, as it has cooling fans - the MBA is throttled to prevent overheating.

It's 100% fine handling the files from my Z7 using LR Classic, so the D850 files should be fine too.

Perhaps not surprisingly, it struggles with the same files in PS once you start adding layers. I just use mine as a travel laptop so I've gotten around this by reducing the size of the Z7 files (by half) as soon as I import into PS.

I think I read elsewhere that the same spec in the Pro doesn't have the issue, as it has cooling fans - the MBA is throttled to prevent overheating.

I use mine as a "travel" machine - never have more than 250 files in the LR Library before I (repeat)/transfer them to my desktop

I speed and quality of the machine has surprised me, in a good way - very pleased

Back