2022's project.

Name
Satz
Edit My Images
No
Dear all,

I'm not new to photography, but neither am I an intermediate photographer.

It's and idea that I have had in the back of my mind for 2021 and think the new year will be a good point to start and work at it throughout 2022.

The basic premise is that I will take a photograph of every individual that comes to the house (family and friends) for all of 2022.

I want these to be a low-key photograph with a semi permanent set-up in the garage (36sq/m).

I have power and space in the garage so could have a set up and left.

I want all the photographs to be the same lighting, same pose and background, I will do other poses based on the mood they are in, but taking no more than 10mins per session/person.

Any advice and guidance would be appreciated.

Sounds like a good project. Might be worth considering setting up a thread in the Personal Projects & Themes forum so you can diarise it, and also get feedback as you go. Having a dedicated thread to it also keeps the focus going.

The first question is what’s the ceiling height?

For low key, the minimum you can get away with is quite minimal.

You’ll need:
A dark / black background - and aim for at least a metre from the subject. Though the further it is from the lit subject the easier to keep it dark.

A stool - adjustable height will help in keeping the sitter the same distance from the light (consistency) the stool also helps with the ceiling height possibly not being optimal.

A single flash in a softbox (pref mains powered with a modelling light). So that’s, flash head, softbox, stand
A 5 in 1 reflector and means of holding it.

tripod, camera, 85mm eq lens, flash

I’d recommend a Godox flash, but if you want something with a warranty, use Lencarta as their softboxes and stands are better than the box shifters too.

And I can’t wait to see the results.

To add
If you already have the camera etc, you’re looking at £200-£250 for a half decent setup.

And you’ll also be in your way to some still life or similar to scratch some other itches.

And for info, I’d Google: short lighting for portraits and feathering softbox light, for some starter tips.

Wow... thanks for the feedback and the direction.

Ian - Hi, yes, I'll post up on the Personal Projects and Theme forum to keep me focussed and on track... plus as visitors arrrive.

Phil - Hi I've got 6m x 6m and 2m-ish height, can set up in a corner of the garage, hang the black coth off the shelves with a curtain pole and grips, hadn't thought about keeping the model at least 1m plus away from the backdrop and then having an adjustable stool some individuals will be taller and shorter. Just so as I don't have to relight the model... would a chair work being fixed height for all individuals :thinking:

With regards to camera, I don't have a 85mm lens but have a 24-70mm f2.8 lens for my canon r6 but was considering using the EF 50mm f1.4 lens. Shooting at f4 as it does seem sharper at that aperture.

Both - I was thinking about having a specific points on the ceiling and around the garage for the model to focus on so that I can get the head position in the same place with each model. So I can say to model, look at the green spot, blue spot, orange spot etc. Also tape the floor for the chair position and tripod location.

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.

@Jungli
I wouldn’t use a 50mm for anything closer than a full length portrait by choice, if you’ve nothing longer than the 70mm zoom, then that’ll be an improvement. You don’t have to worry about keeping a small Aperture in the studio, f8 is fine, you’re using light to accentuate the subject.

if you’ve got 6m of space to move in though, I’d go longer if you have it, it’ll create a more pleasing perspective. (I’d personally go 85 or 135 for h&s portraits)

You can use a simple stool, but if you really want a uniform look, that’ll mean adjusting the height of the light and the ‘dot on the wall’ for each sitter, and being careful with camera position too.

Whereas if you set off with fixed light and camera, simply adjusting the sitter height makes things easy.

Sounds like a fun project.

Thanks Phil,

Sage advice - probably also best to get some practice shots in and the set up right so it becomes more of a work flow. When the first family members come over.

Problem is as I go through the process I'm forever tinkering - it's almost a disability at times - whilst a whole load of uniform portraits is the goal, other poses may suit the model. But its the time and not to do it for too long.

Yes, looking forward to it for 2022.

Will keep you posted on my progress.

Can't add anything but just wanted to say it's a great idea and it will be very exciting and satisfying to do.

Best of luck.

Gaz

Back