20D and noise

dod

TPer Emeritus
Name
Ebenezer McScrooge III
Edit My Images
Yes
This is really a follow up to another post and hopefully it can come up with some pointers if not answers.

Since I got my 20D I've notice a number of occasions where I've felt the noise on low ISO's is higher than I'd expected. Examples:

1740at49f4.jpg

webspider.jpg

Spider big

I know Steve mentioned he'd felt the same occasionally but just wodering if anyone else had a similar experience?

Did you shoot in RAW and did you process for noise at all before converting? What software?

I do know what you mean. The only saving is grace is that when you do get noise these days, it tends to be far more uniform, finer, and more akin to grain in film which can be quite acceptable.

I have been thinking about this today and realise that I had noticed a LOT of noise on a set of images that where shot at ISO100 in very good, early morning soft light, using a Canon 50mm f1.8 MKII lens at wide apertures. In fact they where so noisy I double checked the ISO on the camera when I was shooting.

I am not on my main rig at the moment but will find an example for you later.

Here is an example shot which clearly show the noise that my 20D creates. The picture on the right shows where the two sections have been cropped from (please note that I cropped that section only to hide my girlfriends modesty). Each of the two sections on the left are 100% crops and this image has had no work done to it apart from the conversion from RAW to tiff, channel selection for conversion to B&W, then save for web in Photoshop CS to allow display on the forum. I tried all three channels and each is equally as bad, also the noise is equally apparent in the colour version.

What does stand out from the picture is that there is virtually no noise in the lighter areas and a surprisingly large amount in the darker sections. I never experienced these issues with my 10D.

example.jpg

Equipment used was the likely culprit (Canon 20D) Canon 50mm F1.8MKII.
Picture settings from memory ISO 100 (definitely correct), F4, 1/250th sec.

Back