21st Birthday party at Viva Showbar

Name
Danny
Edit My Images
Yes
Saturday night i was covering a 21st birthday party in blackpool, here are some of the photo's for your critique :)
Do your worst!

1/
p84856856-4.jpg

2/
p286480393-4.jpg

3/
p361447829-4.jpg

4/
p361917037-4.jpg

5/
p364475700-4.jpg

6/
p288348761-4.jpg

7/
p223313474-4.jpg

8/
p34261571-4.jpg

Lighting was actually pretty good, they had a professional sound and lighting engineer so was very creative, no more challenging than working a wedding venue etc. hardest part was the 2 worlds most powerful smoke machines pointed right at the dance floor, everytime they came on you could barely see your hand infront of your face! And they always seemed to come on at the worst moment, i had quite a few frames straight in the bin because they were just white from the smoke

Bump for anymore C+C

#3 could look good as a tall crop maybe by losing the two bodies on the right?

Not done this type of thing before but they look good, bright vibrant exsposures. How did you light them ? Bounced on camera flash or just ambient light.

Gaz

#3 could look good as a tall crop maybe by losing the two bodies on the right?
Thankyou for the comment, i will try that crop, i wasnt keen at first as i didnt want too loose the light source in the bg but your the second person to suggest it now so will give it a try (y)
Not done this type of thing before but they look good, bright vibrant exsposures. How did you light them ? Bounced on camera flash or just ambient light.

Gaz
Hi gary, i had a flashgun hotshoe mounted with omni-bounce fitted, most of the time bounced off the ceiling, but the room had very high, black cielings so sometimes there was nothing to bounce off, (Very big room) Wide aperture (apart from the group shots), slow shutter, most were shot around 1/30th, and approx iso 400, the group shots, depending how many people were in it, i closed the aperture and bumped the iso :) HTH

Danny

For what you were doing I think these are all fine - WB is all over the place as it always it at such events, and for 1st Dance at Weddings too

Punchy images, sharp where they need to be = job done for me :)

Dave

Thanks for the comment dave, tried my best to get an even white balance but as you say, coloured lights all over the place do some weird things, client was chuffed with them, i was happy. Jobs a good un :)

I actually embrace the variation at Weddings, and whatever the camera records as the WB at the time is fine by me - in fact, I often boost the saturation too to make it more party-like :)

Dave

I also like the colours, i just like to try and make sure the skin tone is near enough right, i personally prefer the vibrance slider, all of these have had a heavy boost of vibrance and about +5 of saturation in LR4 :)

Cheers Danny. I am surprised @ only 400 iso I assumed you would need way way higher.

Gaz

Cheers Danny. I am surprised @ only 400 iso I assumed you would need way way higher.

Gaz
1/30 second, and around f1.4/1.8 ish for most shots is a fair amount of ambient coming in, and the flash just gives it that little boost and freezes the subject :)

I think the execution on these photo's is great for the lighting that would have been in the venue

Thankyou very much Liam! :)

Danny

Cool. Well you said wide and that sure is wide :) So for groups would you say f 5.6 ?

Gaz

number 4 was F2, but if the group was quite deep or they formed a curve then yes i would of probably come down to f4/5.6
Shots of tables was F5.6 and 6400 iso as there were no stage lights in that area

ETA: All the exif is intact btw :)

Last edited:
These are excellent,very tricky lighting,well done.:):plus1:

Back