24-105 - grit behind the focusing ring

Edit My Images
No
Seems I managed to pick three or four pieces of sand up behind the focusing ring on my 24-105 during my recent trip to the middle east. Not too bad as I almost never use manual focus (and don't at all on this lens since first hearing that terrible scratching sound).

It was bought overseas, so isn't going to be covered under warrenty, and I was just wondering what the procedure would be if I wanted to get it fixed? Any recommendations on service centers?

Thanks

You could give your local canon service centre a call and tell them about the grit, they may want to look it over before giving an approximate price though, they should repair at a cost despite the warranty being absent. Either that or run a search for repair and service centre's in your area. Worth a try.

Breaker,
did you do anything to progress this?

I too have a 'gritty' noise when i use the MF on the lens. However, in AF its quiet, no sign of the 'grit' noise.

No progress I'm afraid, I've just resigned myself to never using the manual focus.....and I'm back in love with my 85mm 1.8 after the first flush faded with the 24-105, so it doesn't see as much use anymore.

Having just spoken to Fixation in London, they think (having not seen the lens) that it'll need stripping, so should be around the £80 mark. Chiswick Camera's in Acton have a guy who collects once a week and charges £10 for a quote, deducted from the final charge if you go ahead with the fix....

Back