24-105mm L series

If anyone has the 15-85 & 24-105 on a cropped body, are you able to upload some sample shots of the same subject at both 15mm and 105mm please.

I am torn between the two, however there is something about that red ring which keeps swaying me :/

If you go on Flickr and search for these lenses you will see hundreds of photos taken with them.

If you go on Flickr and search for these lenses you will see hundreds of photos taken with them.

Unfortunately it doesn't seem like Flickr let's you search for camera and lens, just either or :(

Keep in mind you cannot see the red ring when you are looking through the viewfinder.

Also looking at flickr images doesn't meant a thing except to give you an idea of what is possible. Post processing may negate objective analysis of a lenses performance.

Last edited:
I go to florida all the time and i take 2 lenses with me a sigma 17-70os and my trusty 70-200isf4L. what i tend to do is plan my day if we are going to the parks and doing shows and the kids are doing rides then its the 70-200 if we are just walking around then its the 17-70. where are you planning on going

I go to florida all the time and i take 2 lenses with me a sigma 17-70os and my trusty 70-200isf4L. what i tend to do is plan my day if we are going to the parks and doing shows and the kids are doing rides then its the 70-200 if we are just walking around then its the 17-70. where are you planning on going

The parks :)

However, you can always crop in for extra zoom but you can't add anything at the the wide end that you never got in the first place.

I've no idea what the 15-85 is like but if I still had a cropped body then the 17-55 would be my walk-a-bout. The constant f/2.8 with the IS is a major advantage.

Only if you want to shoot with that aperture. For me the extra range of the 15-85 was the major advantage.

Only if you want to shoot with that aperture. For me the extra range of the 15-85 was the major advantage.

It's more than that. The f/2.8 is of value even if you are shooting at a smaller aperture. Remember that the camera always focuses at the widest aperture and stops down when you take the shot. Hence in low light the constant f/2.8 coupled with 3-stop IS is a major advantage in being able to focus and then get the shot in tricky light.

Last edited:
What's does the fixed aperture mean on the L when compared to the 15-85mm?

Last edited:
fixed focal length 70-200 f4 it means the lowest f number is f4 the 15-85 is f3.5 to 5.6

fixed focal length 70-200 f4 it means the lowest f number is f4 the 15-85 is f3.5 to 5.6

Just edited my post, was slightly wrong, however I think I have answered my own question.

Does it mean than on the 24-105mm the aperture is f/4.0 right through 24-105mm, whereas on the 15-85mm it is f/3.5 at 15mm and f/5.6 at 85mm?

Correct

Get the 24-105 L you will eventually upgrade camera to FF :)

The 24-105 is £479 from panamoz

It is a grey import but also comes with a 3 year UK warranty. I bought mine from there can't fault them.

It is a grey import but also comes with a 3 year UK warranty. I bought mine from there can't fault them.
Oh wow OK, that sways it as I was worried about the 1 year warranty and diaphragm issue.

Hmm decisions

Haha yes. However I'm now going from £450ish to over £1k! Perhaps in the future!

The first thing that you will notice if you replace your kit lens with a 24-105 will be a dramatic increase in weight, something you may wish to consider for a holiday. You will also lose a substantial amount of your wide angle. You might consider a Canon 17-85 which although it does not come up to L standards will produce better images than your kit lens. If you can only take one lens Canon also make an 18-135 which will give you a good range. Have a look here for a comprehensive range of reviews for all your options by all the manufacturers.

Enjoy your holiday. :)

Not a fan of the 18-135mm. It's a bit more than I really need for a reduction is image quality.

I've just watched a few videos on YouTube about both lenses. The 15mm seems to suffer from softness and ca in the corners quite a bit at under 45mm where the L doesn't have this issue, it does however suffer more from distortion which is a simple light room one click fix.
Tried my 18-55 at 24mm at its a bit of a push, however one thing is struggle with is indoor shots in winters low light where I still get some blur. Optional combo seems to be the 24-105mm and another fast wide angle lens. Unfortunately can't afford this so need to compromise.

I'm thinking the 24-105mm and keep the 18-55 for indoor close range, but doesn't that defeat the point..

Have you considered the 18-135 IS STM, I know it's not going to give you a constant aperture but the IQ of the newer STM over the original is much better and the AF speed is pretty impressive too. I know the 550D wont be able to take advantage of the STM part of the lens but it will still perform well on it. As others have mentioned though, the best idea is to take your camera into a shop and try out all the lenses you're interested in and work out which is the best for you after that. Only you can decide what FL will suit you best and which will give you the best IQ on your camera.

Sounds like the 15-85 is emerging as the front runner.:)

A trip to Jessops and actually getting your hand on the lenses is a great idea. Take your camera with you they won't mind. Make sure you have a charged battery and a memory card and then shoot some photos at various lengths, apertures etc etc and then compare them at your leisure at home.

I absolutely agree with pretty much Val has said here. Well almost as there is a couple of things you'll have to be wary of! First of the cliché answer that (24mm isn't wide enough on a crop body) what a load of rubbish that is... maybe not wide enough for the person advising but not for everyone else. I sold my 18-55 and bought a 15-85 IS USM F/3.5-5.6 and boy this lens was fast to focus. Tac sharp and they are the only 2 good things I have to say about this lens although this is only my opinion. I tried to love this lens, I tried hard but in the end it had to go. I hated the double barrel zoom. I hated the lens creep weather I was hand holding the camera or wearing it on the blackrapid strap. I hated the various aperture so in the end I'd keep it on 5.6 throughout the zoom range so it didn't mess with the exposure as I shoot manual. The focus ring is of the most stupid design as it's so thin and recessed that is difficult to operate so therefore pointless. I loved the sharpness and the AF speed but I couldn't ignore all the bits that were irritating me. At the moment I'm only using a 50mm 1.8 and a 70-300 4-5.6 all the indoor shots I take with the 50 are super sharp and have a (pop) to the image although at first I thought sh#t this is no good for indoor, it forces you to look at things from a different point of view. I also had a Tamron 17-50 F/2.8 VC which I returned to the store as the zoom ring was faulty it was so stiff I thought I was gonna brake the thing if I tried to zoom with it. None the less that is the lens that I loved the most. It was tac sharp at 2.8 Currently saving for a Tamron 24-70 F/2.8 VC USD like you I have too considered the 24-105 but the 2.8 wins over and yes I have used both of these in the past and the tammy won me over. Only you can decide. Some people use twisers to remove a splinter, I use a Stanley blade. Horses for courses

I've got the 17-55 f2.8 and my dad has the 24-105 f4. IQ wise they are both very good I went for the 17-55mm as when I looked through my shots a lot were at the wider end and I couldn't afford a separate wide angle.
you could go for the 24-105mm and keep your existing lens as a wide angle for now.

I've got the 17-55 f2.8 and my dad has the 24-105 f4. IQ wise they are both very good I went for the 17-55mm as when I looked through my shots a lot were at the wider end and I couldn't afford a separate wide angle.
you could go for the 24-105mm and keep your existing lens as a wide angle for now.

I was thinking about this today considering the kit lens is wider and faster..

Just tried the 24-105mm at John Lewis on a 600D and 700D.
Are they cropped sensors?

The 24-105mm really is a well built bit of kit. The reason I ask about those cameras is that the 24mm didn't seem too bad on the wide angle.

Something I did notice though is that it is able to focus much quicker and the focus range seems to be able to cope a lot closer. Also, the DOF effect seemed the be much easier to get, despite only having f/4?

Yes they are both crop sensors mate

I was thinking about this today considering the kit lens is wider and faster..
But it's not. The kit lens is only 3.5 at 18mm it quickly jumps beyond f4.

The 17-55 would be my choice but you appear to be dismissing it based on its lack of red ring. As far as I'm concerned, that's your loss.

The 17-55 would be my choice but you appear to be dismissing it based on its lack of red ring. As far as I'm concerned, that's your loss.

Hmm good point, in proportion it wouldn't be.

I'm was looking at the 15-85mm asi want something with a bit more zoom than 55mm. The quality and CA of the 15-85mm puts me off a little. Also, I can't find a single shop that has it in to look at. They will only order it in to purchase

Back