24-120 4G or 50mm 1.8G for portraits

Name
Stu
Edit My Images
Yes
I basically have a D850 and these 2 Nikon lenses, I’m practising getting some shots of my 8 month old outside on bright lit days.

Which lens would you say to give the best results, assuming I just take the one?

PFA - This was took using my old D3300 and the 50mm

1A3C566A-3B22-49F8-928E-3A8533BE2179.jpeg

If you were just taking one lens, I would go with the 50 1.8 - what you'd lose in zoom flexibility you would gain in lack of weight, faster aperture, smoother out of focus areas etc.

I'd probably choose the 50 too, not least for the way it renders the OOF sections of the image if you choose to use shallow depth of field. Ideally for portraits you would use something a little longer to reduce distortion of facial features and possibly push the BG even further OOF.

%0mm f1.8g is certainly a better portrait lens imo.

Out of those the 50mm, but it would never be my 1st choice, in fact, if you still have a crop body, the 50mm on that would be a better bet.

I basically have a D850 and these 2 Nikon lenses, I’m practising getting some shots of my 8 month old outside on bright lit days.

Which lens would you say to give the best results, assuming I just take the one?

PFA - This was took using my old D3300 and the 50mm

View attachment 129021
??????????
Having both and the ability to try both out which do you yourself find gives you the most pleasing results? It takes nothing more than sit down and take some pictures, change lenses and then take some more.

I would say your a bit over camered and under lensed. I wouldn’t choose either lens for your purpose. Indeed I had both with my D600 and I wasn’t satisfied with the results from the zoom on a 24 meg sensor.

I’ve had some lovely shots with the 50 1.8G but ultimately they suffer badly from focus shift so that went too.

I would either sell both lenses and buy the Nikon 35 and 85 1.8 combo or stretch a bit more and get the Tamron 35 and 85 VC 1.8 combo which are a step up again.

Or sell the camera, get a D750 and add some better lenses with the change.

I would say the 50 1.8 will get the nicest picture of near static kid.
But i have the 24-120 and i am impress how much better it is at taking shots of running kids compare to my prime lens, albeit i don't have a 50 1.8g but compare to sigma 35 1.4art and 50 1.4 art which are both slower and give me less keepers.
The thing with the 24-120 is you can shot at 120mm and get a bit of bokeh and it can also it focus pretty close.

I have both and would pick the 24-120 all day...Its has VR which the 50 doesn't, its flexible and sharp....I think its a cracking lens....

Back