24 fps for cinematic in U.K?

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
No
Is it possible to capture footage in 24fps for a cinematic look without getting any flicker when it's the PAL format over here? I've got the Sony A7III which I've kept in PAL and is 25fps, I could switch to NTSC and get the 24fps but would that introduce flicker from lights etc? Also I'm using Filmic pro on my android phone which doesn't have the option for 24fps but filmic does, will that affect the flicker aswell?

Cheers

It should be OK so long as you use 24 through any editing and render also.
You'd also be able to use up to 120fps at 1080p rather than 100fps if you wanted slo-mo
Some LED lights give problems regardless, I see it with petrol station price displays and car tail lights quite a bit.

Last edited:
You won't notice the difference between 24 and 25fps. If you are playing back on a TV 25fps will give you a better playback. If you are playing back on a computer monitor then it's best to output either from the camera or your editing software at 30 or 60 fps as monitors tend to refresh at 60Hz. The worst case is recording at 24fps or 25fps and then playing back on a monitor. That may be why your pans look a bit choppy on the above video. If you are watching on a phone or tablet it doesn't really matter as they can adapt more effectively to the different rates.

Thanks all [emoji106] it's mainly landscapes I'll be shooting but I will be using an anamorphic lens as I like the blue flare it produces directed at a light source, so not sure if the fps would affect this? I'll have to test it out properly and see the results.

Back