24 Hours of Le Mans

Gary

TPer Emeritus
Name
See above
Edit My Images
No
http://t.co/Ll2rAzW

I got there friday, and covered 3pm until midnight on Saturday. Then i headed off to Thruxton to cover BritCar (which lasted an hour and i got fripping soaked!!)

I00005ivkdnSLKqY.jpg

1) The start

I00009R2bPQxNxEE.jpg

2) Audi

I0000qRiPxnTYeKg.jpg

3) Gulf coloured Astons were few!

I0000D..96dCXank.jpg

4) excellent result for Greaves!

I0000T3B_LawrwBc.jpg

5) trying to put a spin on the usual Dunlop Bridge shots

I0000zRkTmh0xTWk.jpg

6) Troy Lee rules!

great race well captured Gary, a good mix very dramatic and some wonderful colours. #3,5 ,7 &20 my faves.

There's some very iconic shots there Gary - but you don't need me to tell you that :D

How come Britcar lasted an hour?

Some fantastic shots there. Loving #8 and #15 - I think they're awesome! Nice work :)

Some great shots there. I know the extreme angles are intentional, but couldnt help wondering (having been to the race) whether you had been visiting a few of those lovely little Heiniken, Carlsberg, kind of booths:D:D. I know i did:D

stunning pictures like 2,6 and 11 if I had to pick some fav`s and I do`nt mind the angles give`s a different view on the subject

Great photos,I was there in 1966,time to dig out my old B& W photos. The Ford GT40 won that year.

thanks for all the nice comments guys.

re: the angles.. i must admit i am guilty of doing them for the sake of it sometimes.. but in most cases (1, 5, 7, 11, 13) i do it to either crop something ugly out, or add something interesting in.
eg. in 1) the bottom of the photo is exactly parallel to the barrier, so that i can keep it out of the photo.
in 7) its angled to get the car in at the bottom and the dunlop bridge in at the top.

but yeah, sometimes it hurts my neck when i'm going through them all :)

Inspirational shots...

Never shot motorsport apart from Goodwood Festival of speed...

Going to Snetterton for the BTCC hopefully with a pit pass :)

If I can get a couple 1/2 as good as these I will be pleased...

Gary, sound like a busy weekend. Certainly some different stuff, many just don't sit comfortably with me, either the angles, focus or framing perhaps not quite to my personal liking. But who cares what I think lol, i'm certainly more comfortable with the more conventional stuff.

Of these though I do rather like 8, 12 and 20 - which seems to be completely different to everyone else lol, oh well :)

Gary, sound like a busy weekend. Certainly some different stuff, many just don't sit comfortably with me, either the angles, focus or framing perhaps not quite to my personal liking. But who cares what I think lol, i'm certainly more comfortable with the more conventional stuff.

Of these though I do rather like 8, 12 and 20 - which seems to be completely different to everyone else lol, oh well :)

at least your honest (y)

You certainly have a unique take on things!

3 could have been a cracking shot if the car was sharper.

Most of the rest are not to my taste and you are definitely extracting the urine with 15 and 16!

Last edited:
Lets just say that i could recognise your shots a mile away and do love what you do even though some break all the rules i have read about over the years but thats what makes your images stand out so much.

And i do have a soft spot for your slow pans :D so 8# and 20# would be on my wall.

Lets just say that i could recognise your shots a mile away and do love what you do even though some break all the rules i have read about over the years but thats what makes your images stand out so much.

And i do have a soft spot for your slow pans :D so 8# and 20# would be on my wall.

very nice of you to say so! i've been trying my hardest to make them recognisable so it means a lot to hear that its working!

Lovely shots and I do love the angles and the 458 into the night
shot is just gorgeous.

Last edited:
All splendid in my book, 2, 4 and 10 would be my absolute faves.

The ferrari and the big wheel also work really well - I like this style of shot where the scenery features big, but the car is still the star.

I remember Gary's shots from 3 or 4 years ago when I first joined here and he had some weird name [and I don't mean Xynamic] and you know what mate, in my own little humble opinion as a motorsport fan of some 17ish years, I can honestly say, I LOVE your pictures these days and what your style has grown into.

I am sorry, most motorsport photography for me, is a wee bit boring, straight on frame filling shots might display perfect panning technique, but I can and occasionally do go and stand by a track myself and see that. I find the 'artistry' of these shots compelling and there isn't one I wouldn't be more than a little pleased to claim as my own. I don't visit circuits as much as I used to anymore and when I do, I am no great photographer, but I will keep trying to put the 'art' back into 'kart' in the way you have done, even when I fail spectacularly :LOL:

Brilliant stuff, don't left the stiff necked put you off, it's good for posture stretching the neck when sitting at a screen ;)

fwiw, 17 is my favourite [and I dont often say that about a ferrari] because of the way the backlight works on the cars contours.

Cheque is in the post Yvonne :)

Wow it's been a very good thread for my ego! Thanks for all the nice comments and also thanks to the people that didn't like them for being honest!

I actually quite like it when people don't like some of the shots because it means I'm not doing anything too boring. There is so much competition in this business that the only way I can compete is to be a bit edgy.

Once again thanks to everyone!

Wow, I'd have loved to have gone! :LOL: Your panning shots are fantastic, and I like the warmth of 9 and 12 - but the night shots are my favourites, they really stand out with the extreme panning!
Unique photos, and I love it :D

Marmite shots. For me I love the different take and angles. Thinking outside the box has made all the set work for me.

Brilliant set! As said very unique. My only point would be to clone out the helicopter in 13 as it looks like sensor dust, unless it is dust, in which case clone it out :p
Much better than I could ever hope to achieve that's for sure.

Brilliant set! As said very unique. My only point would be to clone out the helicopter in 13 as it looks like sensor dust, unless it is dust, in which case clone it out :p
Much better than I could ever hope to achieve that's for sure.

yeah it does look a bit like that i must admit.. was hoping for it to look a bit bigger!.. waited quite a while for the chopper and a car to be in the right place to get them both in shot

Great stuff, love your style, has a Darren Heath feel to it (no bad thing IMO!)

Back