24fps vs 30fps

Name
Ben
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

Was just testing some settings out with my camera and found under some light @ 30fps: 1/60 shutter light flickrs a lot, but when I change it to 24fps: 1/47 everything looks normal.

Any idea why this is happening and if theres a work around? I don't always want that 24fps film look and need to shoot at a highish frame rate while keeping to 1080!

Any ideas guys? :)

Cheers.

Your lights are flashing at 50 Hz. Either get dc lights, or shoot 25.

Avoid using fluorescent lights as they 'pulse' at 50Hz and as so the camera can capture them alternately being on or off if the frame rate is not matched to a multiple of 50 and use tungsten, halogen or LED lights which don't or as above shoot at 25 FPS, theres hardly any actual noticeable difference between 30 and 25 frames per second in my opinion.

You could always try shooting at 24 FPS with a narrower shutter angle (hypotheical of course as its an electronic shutter) of 165 - 175 degrees or less which will reduce the motion blur a bit (1/52 at 165 degrees compared to the normal 1/48 at 180 degrees that gives 'normal' motion blur). Of course that will only work though if you've got full manual control of the video exposure.

Cheers guys.

I'll just stick with 24p then for stuff indoors then. Only ever need 30p for when I'm doing extreme sports anyway which is outside! :)

You could always try shooting at 24 FPS with a narrower shutter angle (hypotheical of course as its an electronic shutter) of 165 - 175 degrees or less which will reduce the motion blur a bit (1/52 at 165 degrees compared to the normal 1/48 at 180 degrees that gives 'normal' motion blur). Of course that will only work though if you've got full manual control of the video exposure.

Yeah I have full manual control, will be shooting 24p, 1/47 shutter.

Thanks.

Last edited:
The shutter speed is what matters, keep at multiples of 50. Eg 1/50, 1/100 or whatever. I don't know why you'd want to shoot at 30fps, that's NTSC standard and in my opinion it looks horrible. 25fps for general video, 24fps for a more cinematic look.

The shutter speed is what matters, keep at multiples of 50. Eg 1/50, 1/100 or whatever. I don't know why you'd want to shoot at 30fps, that's NTSC standard and in my opinion it looks horrible. 25fps for general video, 24fps for a more cinematic look.

It's probably 29.97 fps. Makes changing framerates interesting.

Will shoot 30fps as I will want to be shooting 1080 while maintaining the ability to be able to do a bit of twixtor! Will be for power kiting and other extreme sports - all outdoors so lighting isn't a problem.

Don't want to over-complicate my workflow by using 30fps and 25fps footage!

For anything else, I'll use 24p.

Back